Chapter 9 - White Room

Trying to let no one notice, I reached for it, grabbed it and quickly stood up, still not facing them. I quickly collected myself and walked back to my seat, while on the way handing the jam over to Yugyeom.

Mark saw it.

He saw my pain, but he didn't say anything.

He didn't want me to know that he cared, and a lot too.

He just wants me to leave as fast as possible.

———––——————-•—•-——————————

"Alpha..." Jackson said quietly after some time. "What is it, Jackson?" Jaebum asked. Jackson adjusted himself in his seat before answering. "While we are away, who's going to look out for the house? The others are all busy patrolling the borderlines... and some are away."

There fell a painful silence. Jaebum was also thinking painfully long. "Eh... Jinyoung can stay... because he brought Mindae here. He should take the responsibility and keep an eye on her..." Jaebum finally said, but still hesitated if he made the right choice.

Jackson, Mark and Jinyoung looked weirded out at their Alpha. "But Alpha, Jinyoung is weak. He can't stay alone here with her! What if they get attacked? Lately it happens a lot..." Mark said immediately after Jaebum's statement.

That surprised the others because he normally doesn't give his opinion, plus his opinion was a bit reckless and harsh. Jaebum's gaze immediately fell on him. "Mark, he should take the responsibility on what he has brought upon himself. POINT OUT!" He said irritated.

Mark immediately apologised for his behavior and looked down at his plate. "Jinyoung, is this okay with you? If you want you can also go to the city." Jaebum asked for confirmation. Jinyoung stared a bit before answering. "Yes, Alpha." He said hesitant.

Jaebum nodded. "Good. After eating everyone has to get ready." He said after standing up and he then disappeared into the hallway.

I was already done with eating a while ago, so I just sat there and watched them greedily eat. My gaze went from one to the other, but it always lingered a bit longer on Mark. We locked eyes once, twice, trice.

His eyes, they were emotionless, but mine were always full of pain when looking at him. Mark sighed and stood up, everyone followed after him except Jinyoung and me. "Jinyoung, can I speak to you for a second?" Mark quickly said before leaving the kitchen and Jinyoung quickly followed after him.

'What is it he wants to talk about with him?' I asked myself. They were all talking and preparing to go out, thus I didn't have a lot to do at the moment. So I went to my room and laid down on the bed, slowly drifting away to the dreamland.

I was surrounded by darkness, or is it something else?

I felt lonely in my  own world.

There was only darkness... I needed a light.

Something that would light up my world without leaving any traces of darkness behind...

*Beep... Beep...*

That's the only sound I could hear at the moment.

Where is it coming from?

*Beep... Beep...*

Am I really surrounded by darkness? Or am I somewhere?

All of a sudden my hand became warm, as if someone's holding it...

I tried to move my hand but I couldn't.

My hand felt heavy and... Was it numb?

*Sob... Sob...*

Someone was crying.

*It -ll - all-* I heard, but it wasn't clear what the person was saying.

Who's this person anyway?

"Mindae." Someone called me...

"Wake up!"

*Please...*

There were two voices now... or maybe three...?

They were both familiar and foreign at the same time.

"Mindae!"

*Mindae...*

A male voice screamed my name... and a female one said it quietly, almost whispering it.

"Wake up!" I heard just before an image of a white room flashed before my eyes. And then... I woke up. Sweaty, shivering and... crying?

I slowly opened my eyes and there was Jinyoung looking over at me. "Are you alright...? What happened?!" He said anxiously and worried. His dark brown orbs were full of fear and worry.

I slowly sat up. "I- I don't... know..." Were the only words I could get out. I was now cold and I felt nothing but loneliness. I looked emotionlessly around the room. I felt dizzy, this is all too much to process. Too much happened in a short time...

All of a sudden I got a glass of cold water shoved into my hands. I first stared at the glass and then towards Jinyoung, whose face was still full of worry. He nodded to the glass, signaling me to drink the water and I did what he wanted me to do.

He took the glass from me when I was done drinking. I gazed lost at him. "What happened? Did you have a nightmare?" He asked, looking deep into my eyes. His gaze was so intense, I almost felt as if he was looking right through my soul.

Still holding his gaze I nodded hesitantly. He sighed and after seeing me in such a vulnerable state, he just wanted to stay, watch me and be by my side. But he couldn't, his situation doesn't allow him to do so.

As closest as he could be, he hugged me. I was a bit surprised at his sudden action, but I understood how he must have felt. He was clutching onto me as if my life was on the line. Sometimes it looked like he was trembling.

"Are you alright now?" He asked after some time. "Yes..." I answered him. He pulled away and looked at me with mischief. "Do you want to go to the city?" I gazed questioning at him. "Are we allowed to?"

He chuckled. "Did you already forget it? Jaebum said we could go to the city."

"Oh." Was my only response.