Chapter 2 - His Offer

"So, where are you going to stay for the night?" He asks probably knowing my answer already.

"I'm just going to wander around here and there." I answer him nonchalantly. His expression seems to have turned grim.

"How about staying with my pack?" His tone is harsh, he's irritated by my answer.

But did he seriously just ask me to stay with him...?

"Who are you, to give me such a proposal...?" I question him, nervous, because come on, this guy could have a title like the leader and then I would feel really embarrassed, treating him like an equal. Of course, I know how the ranks work in a pack, I've been there myself.

He looks at me, taken aback by my question. "Me? I'm just the crazy cursed magical one. Every pack has one like that, right?" He's trying to cheer me up it seems. I don't know what I should be thinking about that, but I laugh anyway.

"My pack isn't a pack that would judge a book by its cover..." he trails off. "...They would do it to an actual book though." He adds mumbling, making me giggle. "Don't worry about them. They won't do anything to you." He reassures me. I nod, feeling a bit relieved.

Looking at the sky again, I think about his offer. Is it really a good choice? I really don't have anywhere to stay and I would seriously just wander around and who knows what could happen then.

What do I have to lose? I've lost everything already, but my life... I won't lose that, or at least not until I find the truth about everything.

"If they don't mind, then sure. I'll take you up on your offer." I say, looking at him with a stern expression, wondering if I made the right decision.

But before I can think twice, he's already standing on his four paws. "Come on!" He beams excited, already walking. I have no choice, but to follow. So I stand up and speed up to keep up with the wolf.

The walk to his house – where he was staying with his pack – was physically painful. It must be the bruises. Thankfully, it wasn't a long trip.

Already getting closer to his place, I started to feel nervous again. What if what he told me about his pack was a lie? What if they don't like me and throw me out or worse?!

He seems to have caught up on my nervousness, so he speaks up. "As I said before, you don't have to worry. They're sleeping anyways, if I'm not wrong." I look at him with wide eyes. "So you were lying?!" I almost shout, feeling betrayed.

He looks up to look at me. "No. I didn't lie. I just don't want you to feel pressured, because they are really curious people. They would probably ask you a ton of questions. And you are probably tired, aren't you?" He asks.

"I am tired." I say, looking reassured at him. "Thank you for your concern." He nods.

We walk up to the building that is supposed to be his house. I look it up and down with amazement, it's pretty huge. I wonder how I've never noticed this building from the city.

"How many are there in your pack?" I ask nervous and bewildered again.

He turns again to look at me. "The house may be big, but only seven people, including me, live here. The rest of the pack, which is a huge amount of people, live somewhere else." He says.

I'm confused. "Isn't it dangerous to only live with seven people? What if you get attacked?" I throw random questions that are swirling in my head at him.