Chapter Two

Yesterday, my Mum had taken Kasey-Ray and I for a walk to show us the way to school. Before I knew it, Monday had arrived and with it brought the first day of school. I awoke feeling sick with nerves. I was up, dressed and ready to leave by 7:45am. School didn't even begin until 8:50am and it was only a walk there from my house. The nervous waiting around was excruciating. Rather than go downstairs to wait, I decided to go and sit on Kasey-Ray's bed and talk to her, whilst she finished getting ready. Kasey-Ray was actually really excited, which had made a nice change from all the crying and complaining she had done this past week.

On the walk to , Kasey-Ray was chattering on about all the new friends she would make and out loud whether there would be any good looking guys here. I don't think she completely realised how people gravitated towards her and how most boys at our old school would have crawled over hot coals just to get a 'Hi' from her. She was a year younger than me, but could easily pass for 16, .

As we walked through the school gates, I noticed people had already stopped to stare at us. oblivious to the shift of attention. I tried not to look around; I either looked at Kasey-Ray's face, or at my feet. I was kind of relieved when we stepped through the reception doors.

"Hi, I'm Kasey-Ray Tait and I'm starting here today." She told the receptionist in her most polite voice. "And this is my sister, Erin." The receptionist looked in my direction and seemed to stare at me in shock. She quickly looked back at Kasey-Ray, with a forced smile.

"If you would just take a seat the Mr Jenkins, will be with you shortly." Without a second glance at me, she quickly turned to the telephone behind her.

Kasey-Ray was still talking although I wasn't sure about what. I had tuned her out as we passed through the school gates; I just nodded here and there so she would think I was listening. I still felt sick. I should be used to people gawping at me, they always have, but it still didn't make me feel any better when people couldn't look at me without turning away.

"Kasey-Ray? Erin?" A tall, slim man wearing a tweed suit, with leather elbows and , stepped through a door next to the reception desk.

He didn't look at me the way the receptionist had, which was a welcome relief. The receptionist had probably warned him on the phone, I told myself. He stretched out his arm and shook both of our hands.

"I am Mr Jenkins, The principal here. Let me be the first to welcome you both to Galladale High School." He paused to smile at us both in turn. Looking like he was waiting for one of us to say something, when we didn't he continued. "Well, if you would like to follow me, I will show you to your form rooms."

On the way, he explained what the school expected from its students, the times for lunch and other . He also told us that should we ever have any concerns, we were not to hesitate going to see him. Kasey-Ray was the first to be shown to her form room. Before entering, she fiddled with her clothes and hair, asking if she looked okay, I told her she was perfect and she smiled widely as she followed Mr Jenkins into the room, where he proceeded to introduce her to the form teacher and in turn the rest of the class. All this time I hid out of sight behind the doorframe with my back to the wall until Mr Jenkins reappeared and closed the door behind him.

When we reached my form room, I stood hesitantly in the whilst Mr Jenkins introduced me. I heard a few people snigger when they saw me; some even craned their necks and moved their chairs so they could get a better look at the new girl, some making repulsed noises. I did my best not to make eye contact with anyone and I wished I'd tried harder. I felt someone at the table near the door looking at me, I looked around to see a red haired girl glaring at me with a look of pure hatred in her unsettled me and sent a shiver down my spine. Luckily, my form teacher called my name allowing me to break eye contact with the girl and her hate-filled glare. Ms Forrester was a short, stout, well-dressed woman, who gave me a warm smile.