Chapter Eight

As we walked into the kitchen, my Dad was standing looking out of the window, with a cup in his hands.

"Hi sweetie," He smiled my favourite smile.

"Hey Dad!" I slowly walked towards him and gave him a hug. He hugged me back so tightly I thought I was going to burst. Realising this, he quickly released me and stepped back to examine me.

"Sorry sweetie, I don't know my own strength half the time." He smiled at me weakly. "You should eat something."

I hadn't actually realised how hungry I was until he said that and my stomach growled in reply, making me laugh.

My Dad turned to grab two plates of full English breakfast and placed them on the kitchen table, in front of Sean and me. "Where's Mum?" I enquired with my mouth full of egg and bacon.

"Gone for a walk." My Dad replied as he sat down at the table with his cup in his hands.

We sat in silence for a while as Sean and I continued to eat.

"I'm sorry your Mum and I didn't explain things sooner." I continued to eat as I listened to what my Dad had to say. "You see we had hoped it would skip a generation, but you started to show sign's early on."

My hand gripped my knife tightly, as Sean placed his hand on top of mine and stroked it gently.

My Dad didn't seem to notice this, or refused to acknowledge my discomfort.

"From birth we knew you were special. Your birthmark was always hotter than the rest of your body, and when you were upset, it would burn fiercely."

He stood up from his seat and walked towards the kitchen sink to stare out the window thoughtfully for a moment or two.

When he turned back his face was suddenly very serious.

"Your Mum and I were also born with unique gifts, like you and Sean." He nodded to each of us as he said our names. "I possess the ability to make thunder." He looked back out the window, "and your Mum can make lightening." He turned back to face us again and walked towards the table. "You see alone we are dangerous and powerless to control our abilities. But together..."

"Together, we are powerful and have the most calming effect on the other." My Mum finished my Dad's sentence as she came to stand next to him and smiled at me apologetically mouthing 'sorry to' me.

I stood up from my seat and walked quickly over to her, giving her a hug just as she started to cry.

"I'm so, so, so sorry." She continued to repeat over and over again.

I held her there for a long time, not sure what to say, and before I knew it, she was in my Dad's arms as he pointed to the kitchen counter where my toiletry bag and a pile of clothes sat.

I stood examining myself, in a tall mirror, in one of the bedrooms, in the cottage. My Dad had brought me over a pair of pale blue, cropped trouser, a white vest, and a pair of black sandals.

I pulled my favourite silver headband from the toiletry bag and gently slid it onto my head. Normally I would have spent ages adjusting my hair, so it would cover my birthmark, but for the first time, I pushed the headband back so my hair was off my face.

I smiled at my reflection. I don't think I'd ever felt this happy or self-assured before in my life.

I still had a million and one questions, but I'd been assured that Dr Hammersmith would explain everything later today. He was coming at 7pm. It was only 10:30am now, so I had the rest of the day to, hopefully, get to know Sean better.