Chapter Five

On Monday, it was the same as the last. Jessica didn't acknowledge me again. I was beginning to feel excited at the prospect of seeing Sean on Friday. I could live with seeing him in secret. It was the closest thing to a real date I'd ever had, and probably would have.

I still saw him now and again, in the car park, but he never looked in my direction, or not that I was aware, because as soon as I looked in his direction I would quickly look away, not wanting to be caught out by Jessica.

By Friday, the teachers had stopped giving out homework, so as soon as I got home I ran straight upstairs to change out of my uniform. Every Friday I'd gone to the DVD rental shop in my school uniform and today I wanted to make an effort. I pulled on a pair of jeans, that was the easiest part, and then I turned to my drawers to find a top that I thought would make me half attractive.

After emptying nearly every drawer and wardrobe, I groaned in frustration as I found nothing to wear.

"We're leaving in a......" Kasey-Ray's voice trailed off as she found me sitting on the floor wearing just jeans and a bra, with nearly all my clothes scattered around the room. "You decorating or something?" She raised one eyebrow as she tried to make me laugh. It didn't work though. I was close to telling her I wasn't going anywhere.

"I can't find a top to wear." I huffed.

"Hmmm..." She raised both her eyebrows as she stared at me thoughtfully. "One sec." She turned and left the room, leaving me to wonder what she was doing. "Try this." She threw a purple top at me when she returned.

Standing up, I pulled it over my head and went to look in the mirror. It was a simple purple, long sleeved top with cuffs that flare out and buttons that started half way up. Smiling at my reflection, Kasey-Ray slipped a silver, sparkly belt around my waist.

"There you're perfect. The belt just added that little extra."

"Thank you so much." I turned to give her a huge hug.

"Now hurry up and do your hair," She flung my favourite silver headband at me, "I'll tell Mum and Dad you're on your way down."

She left me to adjust my hair. After I was happy that enough hair covered my birthmark, I pulled on my boots and hurried downstairs and out of the house, into the waiting car.

Kasey-Ray didn't say anything to me on the drive there. She just kept looking over at me, every so often, thoughtfully. I knew she would be watching me like a hawk tonight, and if he did turn up, she would probably interrogate me.

His car was already there when we arrived. Taking a deep breath, I slowly climbed out of the car, after a quick check of my appearance, under Kasey-Ray's quizzical eyes.

"Anything you want to tell me?" She pried as we walked through the shop's door, but my blushes spoke volumes, as I spotted him by the new releases. "Ahhhh!" Kasey-Ray nodded with understanding. "Is that him?" I'd never actually spoken about Sean. Kasey-Ray had heard through the school grapevine that Jessica was giving me a hard time over someone called Jacko. "He's hot." She added. I would have laughed, if I wasn't trying to steady my heart rate. "If you don't want him, I will have him." I glared at her as she raised her hands up and started to back away. Then with a nod towards Sean, she headed to where our parents were.

Smoothing down my clothes, I took another deep breath and walked towards him. He had his back to me, but I could see that he held a DVD in his hands, and I could just make out it was 'Four Lions'.

"Good choice." I stood next to him, purposely not making eye contact, as I casually pretended to look at the new releases.

"Hi." He smiled, making me turn to look at him. Wow! He is gorgeous, better looking than any movie star or male model I've ever seen. "You've seen it then?" He nodded at the DVD in his hand.