Chapter Eleven

The next day, I woke up feeling refreshed and happy. It didn't take me long to realise why as my mobile phone buzzed with a text message.

'Morning baby, I hope you slept well. See you later. I love you x'

He never actually called me baby out loud, and every time I read that one word, I felt all warm and fuzzy. He always finished by telling me he loved me. That was still going to take some getting used to. Only my family ever told me they loved me. I still felt awkward saying it. I expected him to laugh in my face and tell me it was all some big joke. Just the mere thought of that made me feel like my heart was being squeezed hard.

Before the feeling got the better of me, I quickly hit reply and typed out a message.

'Morning. Have fun at practice. I love you too. See you later x'

I still felt awkward giving him a pet name, and thought if I put I loved him, somewhere in the middle, then that would be okay.

This morning Sean was off to football practice and was going to come over afterwards.

Slowly, I climbed out of bed and made my way to the bathroom. After I'd finished washing my face, I stopped to look at my reflection. It hadn't even been a week and you could see a significant difference in my birthmark. It looked smoother, somehow smaller.

Sean had told me that when I controlled the fire in me, then my birthmark would fade. Only one thing confused me. If Sean's great grandmother had had the same powers, then why did she still have the birthmark in the picture I'd seen? It was something I would need to ask him.

I felt happiness at the thought of my birthmark disappearing, but if it was a case where it would come back, I wasn't sure if I could handle that.

Walking back to my bedroom, I ran into Kasey-Ray on the landing as she headed towards her room.

"You been for a run?"

My sister was sporty, but she rarely went running. It was mainly on the treadmill at the gym, in our home town. I don't think she'd actually been to Sean's family gym yet.

"Yeah." She breathed heavily. "There's something about this place that feels so exhilarating." I laughed at the use of her big word. "You should try it." She told me seriously.

"I don't think so." I scoffed. I was allergic to any type of exercise.

"I'm sure you would if Sean asked you." She winked as she followed me into my room.

"Definitely not." I shook my head. The idea of getting all hot, sweaty and out of breath was not my idea of exhilaration.

"You two are such opposites." This hurt! I knew this already and often doubted why he was interested in me. "That's not a bad thing." She quickly added. "They say opposites attract." She walked over to sit on my window seat, whilst watching my reaction. I said nothing as I went to look for something to wear.