Chapter Four

The weekend went by pretty quickly. On Saturday, I went for a walk with my parents and on Sunday, I spent most of my time in my room, finishing off my book for English.

On Monday morning we got to school fifteen minutes earlier than normal, so Kasey-Ray and I sat on the wall next to the car park waiting for Claire. I could have just gone to my form room when we got to school, but I decided I would rather be with my sister and get to my form room at the last minute, just in case Jessica knew I'd bumped into Sean. If I got there just as Ms Forrester did, then I would buy myself more time. But she didn't bother me at all.

In form room it was decided that I would sell programmes with Ms Forrester on sport's day, which suited me just fine. Jessica was going to take part in every event she wanted, which seemed to make her happy.

Sport's day was only a month away; it was the day before school finished for the summer holidays. Everyone knew that it would soon fly by. I was looking forward to not having to come to school, as I always felt like I was walking on eggshells. It wouldn't be so bad if I ran into Sean, as I wouldn't have to face Jessica in school the next day. Not that I would run into him, I was just secretly hoping I would. It was harder to catch glimpses of him when I saw him on the school grounds. I was sure someone would report back to Jessica, just because they loved the thrill of seeing someone being hurt by another.

After that day in the girl's changing room, it was like I didn't exist. No one spoke to me, and most people stopped looking at me.

Even after school, when I saw Sean and his friends in the car park, waiting for Jessica, it was rare any of them would look in my direction.

By now I'd learnt all of their names. Justin Michaels was the tall, spiky, red haired boy. He was Jessica's 18 year old boyfriend.

Apparently, none of them attended Galladale High School; they went to the community college next to the school. This would probably explain why I'd seen them come through the bushes.

The other two boys were Paul and James Hunter. Identical twins who had just turned 18. I couldn't tell them apart, and apparently no one else could either, apart from Kelly Jackson. She was the girl who was always with them. She was a plain looking girl, but pretty at the same time. She had long brown hair with a stripe of purple on one side, and a stripe of blue on the other. I'd overheard someone saying she was going out with one of the twins, but no-one knew which. The most interesting thing I found out about her was that she is the older sister of Sean.

Sean was the youngest in the group, apart from Jessica.

The rumours were that when he was at high school, he was very popular. Captain of most sport's teams and always had a different girl each week. Then in his last year of high school, he had returned to school, after the Easter holiday and had changed.

He wasn't really interested in sport's any more, and he wouldn't look at any of the girls, let alone talk to them. He would just sit still with the same group of friends he had grown up with. Instead of being the main one involved in the conversations, he would just sit there in silence.