Chapter 26: An Alpha Needs A Mate By His Side

Jittery didn't even begin to cover the nerves flowing through my body the minute Daniel stopped distracting my thoughts. He decided to get some rest until Dante got away from the hunters. I was left on watch by myself. It was a horrible idea. I sat stewing in my emotions.

Every footstep and cough from above caused me to shift uncomfortably in my position. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. I would know the moment Dante decided to enter the basement again.

This time I would be ready from him, eagerly awaiting the sight of his beautiful face. My ears perked up when a few of the Alphas shifted against the wall in their slumber. But none of them pulled out of their sleep yet. They wouldn't awaken for another hour at least without provocation.

I rolled my eyes at the outlines of their sleeping forms. Lazy asses.

My ears twitched again as I caught movement around the basement door. This time I was positive it was Dante. Feet shuffled for a moment before a hand fell onto the doorknob. The metal jiggled when he fumbled trying unsuccessfully to not make noise and wake up the building full of hunters.

The door swiftly opened and shut so fast that I rubbed my eyes in confusion. Did I just imagine that happening? Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me since I wanted to see Dante so badly.

Creak.

No definitely not. Someone opened the door and was coming down the stairs.

Creak.

They were not being discrete about it at all.

The footsteps fell closer. I cringed back against the wall when a small light flickered on. But I didn't stay back for long.

My arms quickly wrapped around his neck and his arms wrapped around my waist as he tightly pulled me into his arms. He buried his face into my neck and inhaled sharply. He took in my scent to calm himself down.

I closed my eyes while his lips lightly placed kisses all over my face to comfort me. My heart fluttered with every kiss. Moments later his lips claimed mine.

"I am glad you are okay Ari," he whispered in my ear once he pulled away, "I was so worried about you."

"I missed you," I whispered back while nuzzling my head into the crook of his neck.

"I missed you too."

"Did everything go as planned?" I asked as he picked me up and placed me in his lap.

"Your pack allowed me to claim them. They are awaiting my orders for when we get the other packs by our side."

"No one gave you any trouble?"

His lips twitched and he refused to look me in the eye, "No."

"Dante, tell me the truth."

"It is fine now Ari."

"So Logan gave you trouble."

It wasn't a question. I knew by his reaction the other day that he would give my mate hell the moment he met him. I sighed before pinching the bridge of my nose in annoyance. What would we do about Logan? I had to make him see what Dante meant to me.

"It will be okay, Ari," he reassured me, rubbing his hand along my arm "I think we came to some sort of unspoken agreement."

"Really?"

I highly doubted Logan would just give up on something as serious as a rogue Alpha leading our pack but for now I would just accept it for arguments sake.