Chapter 30: Secrets At Breakfast Is An Art

Dante's P.O.V.

My arms tightened around her body protectively when she shifted in her sleep again. She had been squirming around like she was uncomfortable ever since she fell asleep. Every couple minutes her lips, that just hours ago were moaning out my name, quivered uncontrollably in pain.

Sleep refused to take over my body. All I wanted was to be awake and protect my mate from the nightmare that plagued her sleep.

When we returned from the Alpha mausoleum earlier I hadn't allowed her out of my sight. Her near death incident created a fear inside me. I couldn't believe how many times I came close to losing my precious mate to someone else like my brother or the hunters. Now I had to worry about fighting something I couldn't even see or understand.

I honestly thought I was doing the right thing by pushing her away and giving her space to grieve over my brother. His death affected her more than she was letting on to everyone. She loved him whether she would admit it to me or not.

That kiss I witnessed between them was enough to make me want to go on a killing spree. It was hard enough sharing everything throughout my childhood with him but to have to share a mate was more than I could handle. I thought when she chose me over him that I finally won. It tore my soul to have the memory of her kissing him imprinted in my mind for the rest of my life.

My fists gripped her shoulders a little tighter. I had to remind myself that I was going to hurt her if I didn't calm myself down. I knew it was foolish and childish of me to throw a tantrum and push her away. That was the only way I knew how to deal with the pain. I even said some hurtful things and accused her of cheating on me, which was absolutely absurd.

I was just glad that the beautiful woman lying in my arms with me now was forgiving and understanding enough to let me back in. I unclenched my fists when I felt myself calming down at the sight of her.

When I felt her throat close and her wolf almost left the world was the worst moment in my entire existence. While I held her close this afternoon, I begged her to never leave me and for her to live, no breathe for me. On the outside I was the depiction of calm. I needed her to feel safe with me. But on the inside I was a wild storm of panic.

I took an oath as an Alpha to protect my pack and my mate. I was going to make sure nothing bad ever happened to her again.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I felt the tension release from her body. Her nightmare was finally over. Her body subconsciously pushed further into my chest. I placed my chin on top of her head so I could inhale her scent. During our fight I missed being able to hold her close to me.

The sun gradually started to rise and peek through the curtains. It would soon be time to get up and begin our daily routine. But today was different. It was our first time getting up together as an Alpha couple since our reconciliation.

"Have you been watching me all night?" she asked sleepily while slowly turning around in my arms to face me.

My lips twitched into a grin when I saw her sneak a quick glance through her tired eyelids to see my facial expression.

"Aren't we a little conceited this morning," I teased before planting a small kiss on her lips.

She squealed before pulling away. She muttered under her breath something about morning breath and how we couldn't kiss until we brushed our teeth.

I chuckled in amusement while she quickly hopped out of bed and rushed into our bathroom.

"What time is it anyways?" she asked once she was satisfied that her breath smelled thoroughly like peppermint.