Chapter 4: Santa Klaus is Coming to Town

Later that day, I shambled down the hall to Elena’s room, still a bit dazed from my little chat with Damon. I shuddered as I remembered his hands. I don’t know what I was expecting; for him to start sparkling maybe? As I stood at Elena’s door, I tried to arrange my thoughts. The door was open and she was sitting on the bed, eyes locked to her phone. She flinched when she heard me knock. She put the phone away awkwardly and slightly shifted on the bed.

I sat next to her and sighed. ‘Sorry for being so mean. I was just really freaked out.’

Elena smiled and nodded understandingly. ‘I wasn’t expecting a different reaction.’

We stared ahead, allowing the silence to consume us. But it was a comfortable silence. Elena looked around the room, then peered out the door as if making sure no one was around. She then broke the silence. ‘Why are you in Mystic Falls, anyway?’

She was staring at me intently. I was quiet for some time, trying to figure out where to start. I couldn’t find the right words to begin, so I just poured everything out, not thinking once before speaking. ‘I was on my way to North Carolina. My mom had started smoking again a while ago, right after my dad died. I got a call from a hospital in Durham, where she was staying. Said she had lung cancer.’ My voice quivered at the words lung cancer. ‘I had to see her. I’ve been on the road for almost thirteen hours. Then my car broke down.’

I didn’t realize I was crying. Two arms engulfed me and we just stayed like that, neither of us pulling apart. ‘She’s going to be okay,’ Elena tried to comfort me, which only made me sob harder.

‘How do you know?’ I managed to get the words out between irrepressible snivels, my voice barely audible. Elena didn’t respond. And if she did then I didn’t hear her. My head was throbbing. It was like being suffocated, only you couldn't fight back. I pulled away from her embrace and wiped the tears, trying my best not to damage my makeup. I tried giving Elena my best smile, but I probably looked like a heroin addict. I was still pretty shaken, but I volunteered to go get some food.

When I entered the kitchen, I wrinkled my nose as I took in a familiar smell. ‘Pickles,’ I whispered to myself.

‘Want some?’ Damon asked. I didn’t know he was there, so I jerked involuntarily.

‘You need to stop doing that!’ I let out a breath.

‘Doing what?’ He tried to look innocent.

‘Appearing out of thin air!’ He didn’t reply. Instead he stared at me attentively, furrowing his eyebrows.

‘You’ve been crying,’ he declared.

‘Have not,’ I mumbled unconvincingly, looking away. I cleared my throat. ‘Got any liquor?’

‘In there.’ He pointed to a cupboard. I bent down and opened it, meeting countless bottles of Bourbon whiskey inside. I could feel Damon’s eyes burning a hole in the back of my head. When I heard his feet shuffle away, I slowly stood up, seizing two bottles. I watched him open the door and slip outside, going God knows where.

I turned around and I jumped again at the sight of Elena. ‘Jesus Christ, why does everyone keep doing that?’ I wondered aloud. Elena looked confused but didn’t question me. Her gaze lowered to my hands, still clenched around the bottles. I could already feel her disapproval and spoke before she got the chance to open her mouth. ‘Oh, come on Elena! When was the last time you had a drink, huh?’

That seemed to shut her up. I grinned broadly at my success and started jumping around and screaming. I handed her a bottle and ran for the room. She finally gave in and followed me, yelling as well. This was going to be one hell of a night.

‘Dude, do ya think animals can commit suicide?’ Elena slurred, swaying slightly before dropping next to me on the bed. I don’t know how much we’ve been drinking, but I assumed it had been a lot. I started giggling as I had another thought.

‘D’ya think they masturbate?’ Elena burst out laughing as I took another swig from the bottle. I got up and started twirling, almost falling over a couple of times. I grabbed Elena’s hand and pulled her up. We started dancing our way down the hall, singing ‘Dancing Queen’ at the top of our lungs.

‘YOU CAN DANCE, YOU CAN JIVE,’ Elena shrieked. We sank onto a couch, continuing to sing completely out of tune. The door opened and Damon spoke as soon as he entered the house, not even glancing our way.

‘Klaus is coming back to town, Stef-’ Damon stopped abruptly. To say he was shocked would be a massive understatement. We both started giggling at his expression.

‘OH, YOU BETTER WATCH OUT, YOU BETTER NOT CRY! BETTER NOT POUT, I’M TELLING YOU WHY! SANTA KLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN!’ I sang. Seriously though, what kind of name is Klaus? Damon blinked. ‘Hey, Damon,’ I dragged his name, making it sound like ‘Day-man.’ He looked at me. ‘Are you a virgin?’

Elena was now doubled over with laughter. Damon was trying to figure out how to react. I let out a giggle before raising the bottle for another draft. In a swift movement, Damon was in front of me. He’d somehow gotten the bottle out of my hands, and made a grab for Elena’s as well. ‘That’s enough alcohol, girls.’

He placed the bottles on a table then got Elena to her feet. He hoisted her up on his shoulders, only for her to start hitting him. He didn’t seem affected at all, and disappeared from view. He then reappeared, this time without Elena. He carried me as well, and in a split second I was in my room. I giggled again. He placed me on the bed. I made a grab for his hand before he got a chance to leave. He raised an eyebrow and waited patiently. I groaned as I started to feel queasy. However, I uttered some final words.

‘Tell Santa I want a pony for Christmas.’ Then I blacked out.

A/N

I have to say I really enjoyed writing this chapter. Especially the drunk part. ;) Who do you prefer, drunk Elena or sober? Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked it! :D