Chapter 5: One of my Hobbies

‘I am never drinking again.’ I staggered into the kitchen where Damon was cooking breakfast. Shirtless, might I add. He kept his back turned, but I could tell he was smirking. I slumped onto a stool, rubbing my aching temples and moaning. He suddenly turned to me, his arm stretched out.

‘Pickles?’ He offered, a mischievous grin etched on his face. When the smell reached my nostrils, I instantaneously  clamped my hand on my mouth, trying my best to keep my insides from spewing. Alas, I failed. I ran for the bathroom, knocking down the stool in the process. I leaned over the toilet and puked the living daylights out of me. My eyes stung as I struggled to regain normal breathing.

I got up and hobbled to the sink, washing away the remaining vomit. I looked up to see Damon’s reflection in the mirror. He was right behind me. ‘You’re a bastard.’ I wipe my mouth and leave the room, just in time to see Elena emerge from her room. She didn’t look nearly as hungover as I was, which kind of pissed me off. ‘Did you even drink?’

‘Not as much as you, apparently.’ She groaned and we walked to the kitchen together, Damon closely following our footsteps.

The bell rang. Elena opened the door to two squealing girls. They hugged Elena, obviously delighted. She hugged them back with as much force, laughing. I smiled. It felt nice, just watching them. I don’t know, there’s just something mesmerizing about silently watching people have fun. She led them to the kitchen, still talking excitedly. They seemed to quiet down when they reached me. I beamed at them, which probably didn’t look very attractive in my current state. They smiled back genially. ‘This is Miracle, she’s my cousin.’ Elena stated. I mouthed a ‘hello.’

‘I’m Caroline,’ the blonde one chirped gleefully. She was very pretty; pale white skin and green eyes, long hair a little below her shoulders. But her bubbly attitude aggravated me. The other girl, who said her name was Bonnie, had darker skin and olive eyes. Her hair was a dark shade of brown, almost black. She seemed nice, I suppose. They both ignored Damon, who was still making breakfast. ‘So, where are you from, Miracle?’

‘Boston.’ I reply brusquely, feeling sick once more.

Bonnie and Caroline exchange a look. ‘What brings you to Mystic Falls?’ Bonnie asked, a bit wary.

I leered at her. ‘Just visiting my wonderful cousin.’ My tone sounded so nauseatingly sweet, I thought I was going to throw up again. I fixed my eyes to Elena, daring her to tell them.

‘Right.’ She nodded tersely. We were all silent for a minute. The three of them looked rather uncomfortable, which only gratified me. I was in control, they all knew that. I noticed Caroline was wearing a ring similar to Damon’s. She budged her hand, aware of my gaze. Bonnie cleared her throat.

‘Well, Elena, it seems you’ve forgotten about Senior Prank Night.’ Bonnie didn’t seem as intimidated by me as much as Caroline.

Elena shut her eyes and squeezed them hard as she remembered. ‘How could I forget?’

I yawned as I watched them. To be honest, they looked like the perfect friends for Elena: lightheaded, optimistic and annoying as fuck. They were all getting ready to leave, before Caroline faced me. ‘You can come if you want to, you know…’ She trailed off awkwardly. It amused me how helpless she looked.

‘I’ll stay here.’ She nodded and scurried away, as if waiting longer would give me time to change my mind. Damon was just as amused as I was. He sat down opposite to me.

‘I take it it’s your hobby to scare people away.’

I shrugged. ‘She’s annoying, all bouncy and shit.’ I respond. I got up and lumbered to my room. Lifting my phone I caught a glimpse at the time: 12:37 PM. Why am I awake?  I collapse onto the bed and slowly doze off.