Chapter 6: Willy Wonka & Alphabet Soup

I swallowed hard and took a seat next to Elena, trying my best to distance myself from Damon. Elena didn’t look as upset, but instead she was irate. And she seemed pretty determined when she told Damon that I ‘need to know.’ He was staring at the now empty space where Stefan was standing only a minute ago.

‘Uh, who’s Klaus?’ My voice was tiny and awkward. I honestly wasn’t sure how to react to this.

‘He’s an original, one of the first vampires to ever exist,’ Elena started explaining. ‘Stefan has to do his dirty work because he owes him.’ She placed acrimonious emphasis on the word ‘owes’.

At that, Damon got up, poured himself a glass of scotch and downed it in one gulp. ‘And now, Klaus is trying to make an army of hybrids, which he needs Elena’s blood for.’ Damon finished discordantly, slamming the glass on the table then walking away. The rage was slowly dissipating from Elena’s features, which was a sign she was about to cry. I gave her a tight hug then stood up, looking at her now watery eyes.

‘You need to rest,’ I said in my best concerned voice. We ambled to our rooms and, I don’t know about Elena, but I barely slept that night.

I was tying the laces to my sneakers, getting ready for my daily run, when I noticed Elena pass by my room. She said she was meeting up with a friend for a lesson in – and I quote – ‘vampire slaying.’ I gawked at her dubiously but decided to accompany her. I allowed her to lead the way, and we set off silently. We slowed down when we reached the line where the trees begin, leading to the woods. Three bushes and a thorn later, we were in probably the only area that didn’t have as much trees. There stood a man, handling different and odd devices I’d never seen in my life. My eyes widened when I realized who he was.

‘Alaric,’ I breathed out.

He looked up, startled, and raised an eyebrow. ‘Miracle.’

Elena looked at us quizzically. ‘You two know each other?’

‘We’ve met,’ I reply gruffly to which he nods. He cleared his throat then walked to a mannequin, signaling for Elena to follow. I watched as he handed her a sleeve brandished with two wooden sticks. Or ‘stakes’ as they called them. He was wearing one of his own, and proceeded to demonstrate to Elena how to use it by punching the mannequin. The stakes were now injected directly where a human heart would’ve been. Or in this case, a vampire’s heart.

Elena attempted to drive her stakes through, but they didn’t budge. She tried again. I resisted the urge to laugh, putting my fist in my mouth to stifle the laughter. I pushed off the tree and moved closer. ‘You’re not strong enough,’ I declared. They looked at me. ‘Better start lifting some weights, put some meat on your bones.’

Elena looked offended. ‘Thanks for not sugarcoating it.’

I smiled sweetly. ‘Now, why would I sugarcoat it? Do I look like fucking Willy Wonka?’ I reply sarcastically, which earned me a dirty look from her and a laugh from Alaric. I glanced at him. Maybe he wasn’t so bad after all.

I ran back the same route, this time alone. Elena had took off for her first day as a senior. I smiled. My baby girl’s all grown up! I unlocked the door then kicked it shut with my leg. I almost screamed when I turned around. Three girls were on the floor, playing Twister, while Stefan watched leisurely.  My heart stopped when he looked my way. A lump built in my throat as he looked me up and down. I gulped. So this is how I’m gonna die? Damon then came to my rescue by entering the room, causing Stefan to look away from me. I felt considerably more serene.