Chapter 20: Barbie and Koala Boy

The champagne was tinged a rosy pink, which made me reluctant on drinking it. As the cool liquid slipped down my suddenly dry throat, I didn’t bother containing my grimace at the metallic taste. Damon’s expression remained blank. I looked around the room, keeping an eye out for the Originals. Two in particular. My gaze landed on Elena and Elijah. Elena’s lips were set in a thin line, and she was nodding absentmindedly while Elijah talked next to her. Shit, I thought. I know that look. The way she stared at the floor as if contemplating her decisions.

Guilt.

Elena did something bad, no doubt about that. The question was what? I inhaled deeply.

This was too much. Barbie and Koala boy want to kill me and Elena did something we’ll all regret, sooner or later (I have an inkling it might be the former). Damon had the emotional capacity of a brick, Stefan had disappeared into thin air and my mother was dying. It’s funny how such a small town could land you in so much trouble.

Seeing as there was no point in dwelling on the fact that Elena had fucked something up, I decided to worry about my own life, which was obviously at stake. Although no one knew that. Looking through the crowd, I spotted an emerald dress and immediately recognized the figure. I needed a plan, and fast. Rebekah was disappearing from view, hiding within the large mass of guests. Screw plans.

I’m winging this shit.

I whizzed around the room, moving around people and squeezing into small spaces in an attempt to catch up with her. I didn’t know how Damon reacted to my sudden movement, but judging from his harsh hisses and long strides, I’d say he wasn’t very happy. My legs moved faster and I finally managed to move out of the huddled group. I stumbled over my dress as I followed her behind the staircase, continuing to dismiss Damon. That was a bad idea.

It seemed to happen in a blur. My back slamming against a hard surface. My head searing with agonizing pain. My strangled and unsuspecting cry at the abruptness. The sweaty palms that held me in place were none other than Kol’s. Next to him Rebekah smirking in all her glory. What I wouldn’t give to choke the living daylights out of her.

‘Hello again,’ he jeered. I was in too much shock to respond.

What happened next was what really caught me off guard. I hadn’t even registered it until I felt my head go dizzy and the stinging pain in my neck.

Kol bit me.

The way his teeth sharply pierced into my skin made the pain in my neck less than I would’ve thought a vampire’s bite to be. I could feel the blood escaping my system. I squirmed and writhed, but as my head grew woozy and I felt him draining the life out of me, I couldn’t fight back. This time, I was really dying. And there was no one to save me.

And then Kol was hauled away from me. His hands, which were the only thing that kept me steady, had been pried away, causing me to slip to floor involuntarily. I could tell my legs were bended at an awkward position, but I didn’t care. It wasn’t painful. And even if it was, I couldn’t feel it. My whole body was numb.

My vision was blurry, but it was enough for me to witness the scene unfolding before me. Elijah stood restraining Rebekah, who, even from my state, I could tell had vamped out and started clawing at the air. She didn’t even seem to be upset with the fact that Kol was being beaten to a pulp by Damon. Instead, she was outraged at the fact that I was still breathing, although through corrupted lungs.

I could see that a crowd had gathered, amongst them Klaus whose lips were curled in anger as he watched Damon and Kol. For a moment I thought he was going to attack Damon. There was also Matt, who was extremely disoriented. Elena was next to Stefan, who was struggling to pull Damon away, his hands gripping his shoulders. Damon stood up at will, freeing his hand from Stefan with an impatient shake. Kol remained motionless on the floor. Damon probably broke his neck.

Some magical evening, eh.

My limp body was scooped up by him. ‘Elena, we’re leaving.’ I could hear the sound of her heels rapidly clicking as she walked next to Damon. I kept my eyes closed. My head was cradled in one of Damon’s hands, held against his chest while the other carried the weight of the rest of my body.

As we approached the car, I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping my temples would stop aching. It only made them twinge more. A whimper escaped my lips as I felt myself being lowered. I lay sprawled out on the backseats, my body taking up all the space. The engine rumbled to life and the vehicle immediately started to move.

I don’t know if I was conscious. But I couldn’t see. And I couldn’t feel. It was like I was no longer in my body.

For a fleeting moment, I thought I was dead.

A/N

I know I haven't updated in like forever, but it's because of school. I'm sorry this chapter was so short but I hope you liked it. If you did, don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT. 

I also wanted to just give a shout out to an amazing person: @xEnchantingMelody Thank you for you wonderful comments and support for this story! <3

Everyone go follow her and check out her collab account @xUniqueWriters for her amazing story 'My Forbidden Alpha' 

The story is in the external link, so make sure to drop by and give it a read as I'm sure you'll love it! ;)

Anyway, I love you guys! Thank you for reading this! :)