Chapter 8: Hell with Fluorescent Lighting

'Finally!' I breathed out when I saw Damon making his way toward the car. My feet were propped up on the headboard, my head nodding to the beat of the blaring music. I could tell it took him all his strength not to lash out at me. 'Where's Elena?'

'She's staying for a while.' He slipped inside the car smoothly. The engine rumbled.

'And where are we going?'

He sighed and faced me. 'You are going back home. I have some business to attend to.'

I pout exaggeratedly, aware of how provoked he was. 'Why can't I come?' I whined.

He gritted his teeth, holding back a nasty remark, and sighed again. 'God, you're annoying.'

I grinned at my success. He didn't say anymore, only continued to drive. The sun was setting, casting an orange glow on everything. I grimaced. I hate orange. Nevertheless, I relaxed in my seat and enjoyed the view. All too soon, we pulled up in an almost empty parking lot. I looked at the building: Mystic Falls High School.

Damon's fingers still held the steering wheel, despite the fact that we weren't moving anymore. 'You could do so much better than Elena,' I blurted. He looked at me. 'Just thought I'd let you know.'

Damon gaped at me and I turned away, uncomfortable under his stare. I don't know why I said that... I mean, I have nothing against Elena but she and Damon just don't work together. She's too demanding for him. It felt like all eternity before he finally stepped out of the car. I shadowed him. We went through the double doors, rounded two hallways and entered a classroom. There stood Alaric, handling a device similar to the ones I saw earlier in the woods. He gave us both a tight-lipped smile.

Alaric seemed peeved at my appearance. He obviously didn't like how I entered their lives so suddenly, yet so insouciantly.  I wandered around. 'Why are you here, Miracle?' He questioned me. 'I'm sure you're not here voluntarily; this is a school.'

'This isn't a school; it's hell with fluorescent lighting,' I replied, running my fingers over a desk and dodging the question. Truthfully, I was here because I was bored. It wasn't long before Elena showed up with the blonde from earlier, Caroline. She frowned as soon as she saw me, then quickly turned away. Elena pursed her lips but said nothing. I jumped on the desk and sat cross-legged.

Damon cleared his throat. 'So what's the plan?'

Elena glanced at me once more before answering. 'I'll lure Stefan away from the bonfire. Then when he's distracted-'

'I'll shoot him,' Alaric finished.

Damon scrunched up his face. 'Cant Bonnie just ju-ju him or something?'

Elena sighed. 'I'm trying to keep Bonnie out of this. I don't trust that Stefan won't hurt her. Caroline, are you covered?'

Caroline nodded fervently. 'Yes! I will make sure that the old Forbes jail cell is prepped and ready.'

'We're forgetting a key player here,' Damon interjects. 'Rebekah? Wherever Stefan goes, the blonde ponytail tends to follow.' I grunted at the mention of her name, earning baffled looks from Elena, Alaric and Caroline.

'Which is why it's your job to keep her away.' I almost burst out laughing when Elena said that. Damon looked petrified.

'How?! She's an Original! Last time I checked, we're out of daggers.'

'So then preoccupy her with your charm,' I chimed in, quoting what he said previously. His head snapped my way, shooting me a dirty look. I winked at him. The rest watched bewilderedly.

'Might have better luck finding the dagger,' Alaric muttered harshly, causing Damon to look away from me.

'Are you ever not going to be mad at me for a day?'

'Doubtful.'

A boy burst through the door. 'Sorry I'm late. What's going on?' His eyes lingered on me for a while, suspicious of my presence.

'We need you to raid your mom's vervain supply,' said Elena. 'Enough to keep Stefan down for a while.'

He blinked. 'You can't do that to Stefan.'

Caroline raised an eyebrow. 'Why not?'

'Trust me, Tyler, it's in his best interest.' Tyler... Which one was he?

'Yeah. It's not in Klaus's,' he replied. Right! The hybrid. The four were taken aback.

'But Klaus is the bad guy! Why are you acting like some freaky, hybrid, slave minion?' Caroline asked, appalled at his behavior.

'Uh-oh,' Damon muttered.

'What?' Alaric asked.

Tyler continued to defend Klaus. 'Klaus made me who I am, Caroline. I owe him everything.'

'Oh, boy,' Damon grabbed something from Alaric's desk. Tyler turned to leave, but Damon rushed over and pounded it into his neck. He collapsed, and I wince at the scene.

'What are you doing?' Caroline screeched in concern. Damon calmly straightened himself.

'He's been sired.'

'What?' Alaric asked. No one seemed to register his words, myself included.

'Sired,' Damon repeated, louder and clearer. 'He feels loyal to Klaus because Klaus's blood created him.'

'Loyal how?' Elena asked warily.

'He'll seek acceptance from his master. It's really rare. But maybe not so much in hybrids.'

Caroline looks as though she might break down any minute. 'So how do I fix him?'

'Get a new boyfriend,' he said and exited the room. Elena left too, followed by a shaken Caroline. Alaric glanced at me and we move together, leaving Tyler on the floor in a crumpled heap.

Alaric disappeared as soon as we arrived at the bonfire, leaving me alone. I poured myself a beer then downed it in a gulp. I poured another. I was going to need a lot of alcohol to get through the night. I leaned against a tree and gazed around. A few students held up a guy by his legs, chanting 'drink!' A girl was puking all over a guy, who tried to push her away hastily. Then there was Damon by the fire, sitting next to Rebekah who, surprisingly, hadn't ripped his head off yet. I watched them, then perceived Elena's voice. I looked to my right. She was a few feet away. Stefan was next to her.

'I'm not jealous,' she was saying. I snort.

'It's alright,' Stefan responded. 'Be jealous by all means. I'm sure Damon will be thrilled.' I can't help but smirk at his remark.

'I'm not jealous, Stefan.'

'Alright. My mistake.'

Elena rolled her eyes. 'Whatever. I'm out of here.' She leaves. Stefan follows. Looks like everything's going according to plan. Then I look back at the fire, just in time to see Rebekah stab Damon with a wooden stick. Whoops, spoke too soon. I shake my head and make my way over. He sits down and removes the stake, groaning loudly. I sit next to him.

'So much for your charm.'

A/N

I hope you liked this chapter, although I'm rather dissapointed with it to be honest. I feel like it's boring and uninteresting. But I promise you that next chapter is gonna be intense. Here's a little hint: Rebekah and Miracle finish what they started... ;) Please vote and comment if you liked it! First comment gets a dedication! :D