Chapter 17: Depressing Days

It was Caroline’s birthday, although nobody was in the mood to celebrate. I was thinking about going, but the idea of being in the same room as Elena at the moment was unsettling. Damon and Alaric were off to a fundraiser, so I tagged along. It was a normal evening, if I do say so myself. Far from the eccentricity of the past week.

We stood in front of a model of the Wickery Bridge. ‘That’s the bridge where Elena and Jeremy’s parents died in the car accident,’ I whispered to myself more than anything. Alaric nodded.

‘Something is up with her,’ he said. I looked up at him. ‘Elena; something more than usual. You know what it is?’

I pursed my lips and looked to Damon, who was staring at the model, pretending to not have heard the question. I shook my head. Damon cleared his throat. ‘I'm gonna get a drink, write a check and then we're out?’ He asked Alaric then looked at me. I gave him a tight-lipped smile and followed him. As we were headed to the bar, I noticed a figure. A male with light brown hair and blue eyes. I gripped Damon’s forearm and tugged on his shirt. He furrowed his brows and stooped a bit lower, his ear in level with my lips.

I pointed to the figure. ‘Isn’t that Klaus?’ I let go of him as he straightened up and frowned. We slowly approached him.

‘Look at what the cat dragged in,’ Damon announced. Klaus and the woman he was talking to both looked at us. Klaus grinned.

‘Ah, good to see you too, Damon,’ he nodded in byline then glanced at me. ‘Who’s your friend?’

He held out his hand and smiled. I narrowed my eyes and shook it tersely. ‘Miracle Gilbert.’ He gazed at me thoughtfully, most probably processing the fact that I was yet another Gilbert.

‘Klaus has promised to protect Tyler, Damon,’ the woman next to him said. ‘And our town.’

‘From who?’ Damon snapped. ‘His hybrids are the ones the town needs protection from.’

Klaus finally looked away from me. ‘Well, I'd have no use for them if your brother would kindly return my family.’

‘Not gonna happen,’ I deadpanned.

He pressed his lips together and nodded. ‘That's what I thought, which is why I've come to an agreement with the Mayor. You and the Council stay out of my hair, I stay out of yours. Your town gets protected, my hybrids get left alone and everybody will be happy. All you have to do is to get Stefan to stop decapitating my friends.’

‘Please Damon, just get your brother under control,’ the woman beseeched. ‘Or the Council will be forced to take action against him.’

‘You've got to be kidding me!’ Damon sneered.

‘Oh come on mate, give peace a chance,’ Klaus said, grinning broadly. He raised his glass then nodded my way. ‘It was nice meeting you, Miracle.’ I grimaced as he walked away, the woman following his footsteps.

I suppose you could say Damon and I spent the next two days bonding. I made no attempt to speak to Elena. And vice versa. It was funny, how I was so easily dragged into a world of supernatural beings. And I can’t help but admit that with each day, my fascination with Damon enlarged. I still feel like I know nothing about him.

There were too many events for my liking. There was Caroline receiving a bite from Tyler for her birthday. Wopedoo. But Klaus cured her for some reason. Then there was a murder. A man who had a stake driven through his heart, although he wasn’t a vampire. The woman from the fundraiser, whom I found out was not only the Sheriff but also Caroline’s mom, came to our doorstep that day and told us that Elena’s fingerprints were somehow on the stake.

Damon had also gone to the extremities. He undaggered one of Klaus’s siblings, Elijah, in hopes that he would help us figure out a truce. I refused, but obviously he ignored me. Bonnie’s dreams have shown her a woman, whom she believes is the key to opening the damned coffin and just so happens to be her mother. Alaric has met a woman who he has developed an infatuation for but Damon is suspicious of her motives. Needless to say, it was a very depressing weekend for all of us.

I was left alone in the Salvatore residence. Elena was with Bonnie visiting her mother. Damon and Stefan were currently putting their plan in motion. I had no choice but to wait. And wait. And wait. It was unbearable, and I had to find something to pass the time. So I decided to get drunk. Which wasn’t very smart of me. As I descended the stairs, wavering  slightly in my movement, I gasped. The Bourbon I held in my hand slipped out of my fingers and crashed on the hard floor.

In a pool of blood lay Alaric. I scurried closer, bending down and checking his pulse. He was alive, barely. In my half-drunken state, I had no idea what to do. I wanted to call Damon, but decided against it. Instead, I called Elena. She didn’t answer the first time, probably still pissed at me. I called again.

‘What’s up?’ She asked warily.

‘Elena! It’s Alaric, he’s been stabbed!’ I wheezed out. ‘He’s barely alive and I-I don’t know what to do!’

I began to panic. My fingers were shaking and covered in blood. I gripped the knife in his stomach and tried pulling it out, but Alaric’s screams stopped me. Elena was talking but I wasn’t listening. I looked around hastily. The walls were covered in blood, random puddles here and there.

‘You have to kill me,’ Alaric choked out. My eyes widened.

‘What?’ I squeaked out. The phone dropped into the pool of blood.

‘Miracle, you-you have to kill me,’ he repeated. ‘The ring; it’ll bring me b-back to life.’

My hand flailed around in panic. I wasn’t about to kill him, even if it would save him! A feeling of nostalgia flooded my brain. Mikael. If I could dagger him, then I can stab Alaric. I have to. I can’t let him die. So I gripped the knife buried in his stomach and pulled out. Alaric screamed in agony. My hands trembled as I positioned it directly where his heart should be. I inhaled deeply and stabbed him. His death was almost instantaneous, but not before coughing out a good amount of blood and letting out a strangled cry. I backed away, going as far as the other end of the room, where I gagged and coughed incoherently. It was like my lungs were on fire. And there was nothing I could do about it.

A/N

So my updates have been rather slow lately. Sorry about that *smiles sheepishly* I do hope you liked this chapter! Please VOTE and COMMENT if you did! I love you guys! <3