Chapter 25: Hyperventilating

‘We need a plan,’ Stefan says.

I roll my eyes. ‘No shit, Sherlock.’

‘Can someone please tell me what’s going on?’ Bonnie pipes in.

‘It’s Alaric,’ I begin to explain. ‘Esther turned him into this enhanced vampire and now he has Caroline and Elena who he’s threatening to kill unless we bring him Klaus.’

Bonnie’s mouth forms an o shape.

‘Okay,’ Klaus starts, ‘how about Damon sneaks in and distracts Alaric, while Stefan grabs Elena and carries her to safety?’

‘Huh, that’s a great idea. What’s to stop me from getting killed instantly?’ Damon says sarcastically.

Klaus smirks. ‘Nothing.’

I sigh. ‘Caroline’s in there. Don’t you have a thing for her? Or did she just reject you too many times?’ I tell him.

‘This isn’t really helping too much,’ Stefan says. We glance at Bonnie, who is ignoring our ludicrous chatter and thinking deeply.

‘I might have an idea,’ she announces. ‘My mom used a desiccation spell on Mikael that immobilized him for over fifteen years. If I can get it, I might be able to use it on Alaric.’

‘If and might? Your words inspire such confidence,’ Klaus mumbles. She glares at him.

‘I’ll get it. But even with the spell, we’ll need a lot of vampire muscle to take him down. Including yours.’

A grim expression takes over Klaus’s features. ‘Just so we’re clear, the sun sets in about eight hours. If we don’t succeed before then, Elena will be dead, I’ll be gone, and the rest of you will be left to fend for yourselves.’

Abby arrives shortly after, spouting the usual ‘the spell is too dangerous!’ warning before folding and telling Bonnie the directions. Not to mention that there’s obviously a price. The spell would stop Alaric’s heart and, Abby says, in order to perform it, Bonnie has to stop a human heart as well. I volunteer since Jeremy handed me the Gilbert ring at my mother’s funeral and it will bring me back to life.

We currently stand outside the High School. I’d changed out of my constricting outfit and into something more comfortable. I sat on the floor, Bonnie, Klaus, Damon and Stefan all huddled around me.

Bonnie holds out a vial towards Damon. ‘Drink this. It’s my blood. It bridges us all together so that when I stop Miracle’s heart, you’ll have the power to stop Alaric’s. You need to make a physical connection to his bloodstream; a vein, artery, something connected to his heart.’

Damon drinks from the vial and hands it to Stefan, who then passes it to Klaus. ‘Before we all walk through these doors, let’s get on the same page, shall we?’ Klaus states. ‘I was the one who created your vampire bloodline, therefore I am responsible for your lives and Tyler’s life, Caroline’s life, and of course, Abby’s life, should anything go wrong.’

‘Or you’re just lying to save your ass,’ Damon mutters bitterly.

‘I’m not lying. But go ahead, call my bluff, let the teacher kill me. You’ll all be dead soon thereafter. Even Miracle.’ My breath hitches. I watch as Damon’s hands clench, his knuckles going white. Klaus proceeds to drink the remainder of the blood.

‘Let’s just get this over with, okay?’ Stefan says. And they head off to the school, leaving me and Bonnie behind. It isn’t long before Bonnie flinches, sensing that they had made contact with Ric. She places her hands above my chest and begins to chant a spell. I feel my head go woozy as I struggle to not think of all the things that could possibly go wrong, when Bonnie abruptly stops.