Chapter -17-

Coming back from the gym located down the street after a satisfying workout, Nami latched the door behind her and walked towards the kitchen with some mail and the morning paper from their designated P.O box. One in particular was from her mom. She had called sometime ago to inform her that she was going to send something and Nami was curious to see what it was.

She went to the kitchen and sat down at the dining table to eat her breakfast sandwich, Luffy was smart enough to leave alone.

As she ate, Nami tore open the envelope and pulled out a note written in her mom's lazy cursive, titled, "Your Wedding Day."

Your Wedding Day

Sorry that I'm sending this late, kiddo. I just remembered I had taken these.

Hope you like them. ;)

-Mom xoxo

Nami then pulled out a second envelope coloured orange after setting down the note and she smiled. Inside were a handful of pictures of the big day. She was relieved since the only picture she thought she had of the occasion was the group photo Makino took with her, Luffy and his friends at the Party Bar.

The first picture was of Luffy and her dancing the day before the wedding at their reception/reunion party. It was a great picture but there was no memory of her mom agreeing to be her secret photographer. She would have to make it up to her later. The next showed the group pic she took with her parents and Nojiko. All of them with smiling faces.

She found secret photos of her taken in her wedding dress her mom helped pick out and in all the photos she saw of herself, she was surprised how composed she appeared to be because on the inside, she was everything but.

There was one with her dad walking her down the aisle. She remembered that moment well. Although it was just a small ceremony consisting of just the saying of the vows and the signing of the legal documents, her mom insisted that it should be like the real thing. The room was enriched with pink and white pastel coloured ribbon, and fragrant with fresh flowers, the air flowed with light piano music as her dad guided her down the corridor with a firm grip of her arm with wet, soggy eyes.

She remembered the soft fabric of her dress grazing her knees and the sound of her heels clicking with each step and all eyes were on her but she was most focused on the groom.

It was the first time they saw each other that day. He was up there standing at the alter next to the priest looking dashing in his suit. However, he stood stunned. Eyes opened wide and parted lips looking in her direction.

Now thinking about it, she did happen to look back to see what he found so interesting and how self conscious she felt after coming to realize that he was looking at her. A million things ran through her mind:

'Does he dislike the dress? Should I have bought the other one instead? Maybe I should have styled my hair differently. Maybe he could see how tired my eyes were since I could hardly sleep a wink last night. I hope I look okay.'

His attention was so transfixed on her as if he was looking right through her. But when she finally stood across from him, do you know what he told her? He told her that she was beautiful.

Bellemere caught that moment perfectly; Nami could see how she and Luffy stared at each other with big stupid grins on their faces.

Her parents made sure that she felt special that day and for that she was truly grateful.

Nami stood up on her feet to go show Luffy. It had been quiet ever since she came back and she wondered where he could be. He was still here. Luffy would never leave the house without telling her so that only meant one thing.