Slackening the Reins

Chapter 12 - Slackening the Reins

"Well Leroy, I reckon you've met your match in that one," said Jackson, taking a seat in his favourite arm chair.

"Mmhmm," acknowledged Gibbs.

He was standing at the living room window, watching Ziva skip along the pavement. Every so often she would stand still, look across at the play ground, look back at the house then resume her skipping. He knew it was driving her crazy. Her rebellious nature was simply daring her to cross the road but thankfully, so far, the threat of a spanking was holding her back.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, he moved away and took a seat on the sofa.

"Nice couple of kids there Leroy," commented Jack.

"Yeah," agreed Gibbs. "They've come along way Dad. Both of them have had a tough start to life. Tony's life has been one of neglect and abuse at the hands of his father, and Ziva?" Gibbs simply shook his head. "I don't think many five year olds would have even survived what she's been through."

"Doesn't make sense to me, how a parent can abuse their own flesh and blood," remarked Jack.

"Nope, me neither," agreed Gibbs.

Standing up again, Gibbs stepped through to the kitchen and poured himself and his father a cup of coffee. Returning to the living room, he handed a mug to Jack before taking another quick peek out the window. Relieved to see Ziva still on this side of the road, he took a seat on the sofa again.

"I need to explain a couple of things to you, Dad," began Gibbs, before taking a sip of coffee. "Both Tony and Ziva have had bad experiences with adults using belts or other objects as a means of discipline. I have never, nor ever will, use anything except my hand to spank them. In fact, with Tony, Jen and I are tending to move away from spanking now and are implementing grounding. I'm just letting you know so you don't threaten them with a belt or paddle. I know you never used them abusively, but to those two, any object is a sign of abuse."

Gibbs took another sip and eyed his father cautiously, hoping he would understand the situation.

Jackson shook his head. "Not my place Leroy," he said simply.

"Huh?" asked Gibbs.

"It's not my place," repeated Jack. "I don't intend to lay a hand on either of them. You're their father, I'm their Grandpa. You discipline, I spoil."

He looked at his son and grinned.

"Leroy, I spent too many hours trying to keep you in line. Never worked anyhow," he said with snort of laughter. "But with those two, I'm not even going to try."

"Dad, they'll run riot!" exclaimed Gibbs. He was openly shocked at his Dad's response. He felt for sure he would be the strong disciplinarian as he had been with him as a boy.

"Especially Ziva! You give her an inch, she'll take a mile," continued Gibbs. "What if you're looking after them and she starts testing you?"

"I'll ground her pint sized butt to the store until you get back," replied Jack. "Don't get me wrong Leroy. I'm not about to take sass from either of them, but when it comes to physical punishment, I'm afraid that's your job Son."

Gibbs nodded.

"Yep, that's fine," agreed Gibbs. "But I'm gonna need you to implement the time-out procedures should either of them need it and I'm not around."

"So what's this time-out thingy all about?" asked Jack.

As Gibbs explained the system, Jack listened carefully. When his son was finished, he nodded in agreement.