A Meddlesome Migraine

Chapter 31 - A Meddlesome Migraine

"I need to use the bathroom Dad?" called Tony from behind Gibbs' seat.

"Me too," added Ziva.

The family had been on the road for two hours and, having just seen a sign for a rest stop only five kilometres ahead, Gibbs decided it was probably worth stopping for a quick break.

"There's a roadhouse coming up in about 5 minutes Tony," said Gibbs, trying to make eye contact with the boy through the rear-view mirror. "We'll stop there."

"Why can't I use the toilet in here?" asked Tony.

"Because the vehicle is moving," replied Gibbs.

"So, why can't you stop the vehicle?" argued Tony.

Gibbs sighed in frustration.

"I will Tony, when we get to the roadhouse," repeated Gibbs. "I can't just stop in the middle of the freeway."

"Why not?" asked Tony. "There's a space alongside the road."

"That's for emergencies only," explained Gibbs.

"This IS an emergency," stated Tony. "I need to go real bad, Dad."

"Hey, that rhymed," interrupted Ziva. "Bad Dad, bad Dad, Dad bad, baddy Daddy," chanted Ziva, enjoying the sound combinations she was making.

"Shut up Ziva!" snapped Tony.

"Tony, don't tell your sister to shut up please," reprimanded Jenny. "It's not nice."

"Well, she's annoying me," the eleven year old grumbled.

"Then tell her to be quiet, or to shush," suggested Jenny. "I don't like hearing you say shut up."

As Ziva smiled at him smugly, Tony stretched out his legs under the table and managed to kick her in the ankle.

"Mommy!" yelled Ziva. "Tony kicked me."

"Tattle-tale," whispered Tony fiercely.

"Tony, keep your feet to yourself," warned Jenny, giving the boy a stern look.

Not satisfied with her Mom's less than impressive reaction to her need to see Tony in trouble, Ziva slipped down in her seat as far as she could and delivered a sharp kick to Tony's shin.

"Ow!" he yelled loudly.

"What is going on?" demanded Jenny, turning around to see Ziva half way under the table.

"Tony kicked Ziva then Ziva kicked Tony," replied Tim in a tone that was both tired and frustrated. Two hours couped up in a vehicle with an argumentative Tony and Ziva and an even more frustrated Abby due to her grounding restrictions, had Tim ready to jump ship and hijack the next train to Geelong.

"I did not," argued Ziva, staring crossly at Tim. "My foot just....slipped."

Stretching across with her hand, Jenny slapped at the first part of Ziva she could reach which happened to be her thigh.

"Sit up now young lady," ordered Jenny.

"Ow Mommy!" complained Ziva, rubbing her leg. "That hurt!"

"Yes, well, I guess my hand just slipped," retorted Jenny, using the child's words back at her.

Tony sniggered.

"It's not funny!" yelled Ziva.

It took a few seconds for everyone to realise the van was now stationary.