Consequences

Chapter 27 - Consequences

Tim had just stepped into the lobby when he saw the elevator doors open and a very annoyed looking Gibbs step out. Cringing visibly from the onslaught he was expecting to receive, Tim began stammering his apologies when Gibbs was still over ten feet away.

"I'm..I'm sorry Boss," began Tim. "I sh-should have known she wasn't going to the bathroom. I.."

"Tim, stop it!" ordered Gibbs. "I'm not angry at you. This isn't your fault."

"Really?" asked Tim, surprised by Gibbs words. "But I thought you'd..."

"You thought wrong," interrupted Gibbs. "I'm furious with Abby's choices, not you."

"But I should've known she wasn't going to the bathroom," continued Tim.

"Tim, you're not a mind reader. This is all Abby's doing, not yours," reiterated Gibbs. "Now let's just focus on finding her OK?"

"Yeah, sure Boss," replied Tim. The relief in his voice was all too obvious.

"So, where were you when she took off?" asked Gibbs as the two of them stepped outside again.

"Up the other end of this street," replied Tim, pointing ahead of him. "We passed about three nightclubs on the way and I'm sure she'll be in one of those. She'd been hinting she wanted to go all night. I should've just said yes and gone with her."

As Tim began berating himself again, Gibbs smacked him across the back of the head.

"Don't," he growled, pointing his finger at Tim. "You do not need to make up excuses for Abby. I'm assuming you said no to the nightclub idea?"

"Well yeah, only because I was tired and not in the mood," explained Tim.

"And that was your right," said Gibbs. "She knew the rules. She was to stay with you at all times. It's not like you tried to drag her back at ten o'clock. If Abby can't accept that other people have rights and opinions as well, then she will be the one to face the consequences."

Tim nodded again and swallowed hard. He certainly didn't envy Abby when Gibbs caught up to her. This was the first time he'd known Gibbs to see Abby's faults. He was actually beginning to feel sorry for her.

As they walked along the main street, Tim pointed out the first night club.

"Not sure if she'll be in that one though," he said, as they stopped outside. "She's probably in the one closest to the bar we were in."

"May as well look while we're here," said Gibbs, stepping up to the bouncer.

As Gibbs explained that he was looking for his daughter due to a family emergency, the bouncer called over an assistant who led Gibbs inside the venue. Ten minutes later Gibbs emerged, alone.

Sighing, Tim caught up to the older man who was already pounding the pavement, eager to get to the next club.

"The next one's a block away," said Tim.

Gibbs only response was to quicken his pace.

****NCIS****

Sipping his drink slowly, he watched as the quirky dark-haired girl danced wildly on the floor. Dressed in black, her three inch platforms and gold studded dog collar certainly put her in the spotlight. She was obviously drunk. Not enough that she couldn't walk or talk coherently, but enough to convince him she could be easily swayed. As he watched her make her way back to her seat, he stood up and headed to her table.