Repercussions

Chapter 41 - Repercussions

"Try Dad again Grandpa," urged Tony frantically. "He'll know what to do."

"I just did Tony," replied Jack as patiently as he could. "It keeps going to voice mail. So does your Mom's and Tim's. They must have them switched off for some reason. Either that or there's no coverage where they are right now."

Jack suddenly checked his watch.

"Actually," he revised. "They're probably still in the air. Their plane doesn't land until around ten, LA time."

"What are we going to do?" pleaded Tony. "Dad thought she might run off. Where could she possibly be?"

It had now been fifteen minutes since Jack and Tony had discovered Ziva was missing. After becoming suspicious, Jack had asked one of the waitresses to check in the ladies toilet for any sign of Ziva. When the girl returned saying the restroom was empty but one of the windows was pushed wide open, Jack had put two and two together.

Initially, he and Tony had sprinted to the back of the building looking for any sign of the little girl. Other than some scuff marks in the dirt, the area was devoid of any signs of human life. Spreading out, they had searched every corner of the parking lot, even going so far as to scour every tree in the vicinity, this being on Tony's suggestion. But no sign of Ziva was found. It was then that Jack entered the diner and called the police. An Amber alert was immediately issued and two squad cars arrived minutes later, screeching to a halt in front of the now buzzing diner.

As the police left in order to begin a search, Jack had reached for his cell and tried to ring Gibbs for the first time. It was now, four unanswered calls later, that Jack found himself trying to reassure a very frightened young man.

"Tony you need to calm down," said Jack, leading the boy back through the diner and out into the parking lot. "The police have issued an Amber alert and they have men out looking for her."

Jack rubbed his fingers through his hair and looked around the area blankly. Where the hell was she, he inwardly growled.

"Tony, can you think of anywhere she may have gone? Did she give any clues or hints?"

Tony thought hard. Ziva was such a chatterbox that half the time he tended to switch off and ignore her.

"I can't think of anything. But she did say something the other day about how it can be uncomfortable travelling in the luggage compartment of a bus." He looked up at Jack. "You don't think she may have gone to a bus station?"

"Maybe Tony," replied Jack, patting the boy on the back. "That's good thinking."

Entering the diner, Jack found one of the waitresses and asked her if Johnson City had a bus station nearby.

"Well," said the waitress chewing on her gum while she thought. "I can't think of one nearby, but there's a depot about five miles in that direction."

She pointed out the window indicating which way she meant.

Running back out, Jack tagged Tony indicating he should follow. Leaping into their car, Jack skidded out of the parking lot and sped down the road the girl had indicated.

As they turned onto the main street from which they had entered the town, Tony stared out the window. He couldn't believe his sister has actually tried to run away. She had to be crazy. No one in their right mind would try something so daring. What was he thinking, he chided, inwardly rolling his eyes, this was Ziva they were talking about.

Still staring out the window, Tony admired the many shiny trucks parked on the side of the road. It must be a truck stop, he thought to himself.

A truck stop!