3

Wrapping Comets leadrope around my hand, I slowly take him to his stable. He doesn't hesitate to follow behind me. Walking into the stable block, I pop my head into each stable to see which stable was prepared for him. The stablehand walks in and notices me staring dumbfounded at the stables. He points to Drummers old stable, and I take a peep for the first time in a week.

It breaks my heart to not see his face staring back at me. "No," I whisper quietly. The echoes of yesterday scratches at the back of my mind like a cats claws on a blackboard. Poking and prodding at the unbearable, vivid, horrendous yet unfixable pain. I can't take it anymore and my sanity comes tumbling down and dies at my feet leaving nothing but a bitter aftertaste.
"No, no, no!" I choke, turning around to nothing but emptiness, a dark shadow, I come face to face with death himself. He grabs my hand and pulls me into a pain like no other, it sucks me in and chews me up, tearing me memory by memory before spitting me out like a tasteless corpse. "Why, WHY?" I scream in raw, ruthless, rage.

He's gone. A voice whispers to me. He's gone, he's gone, he's gone, HE'S GONE!

I shake my head, and throw a hand to my mouth. He's gone. A soft nose pulls me back to reality, and I whip around to find Comets big, brown, understanding eyes bore into mine. Throwing my arms around him, I cry into his neck, weak and fragile. Broken once more, I take out the last piece of my barely recognisable beating heart and watch as my blackened lifeline turns to ash, leaving me alive but with something far worse than a broken heart, a dead one.

~~~

Clara finished her meltdown, although to this day she still believes that she didn't see Drummer the same after that afternoon. She still loved him with all her heart, but her devotion dripped away until it was unbearable to think of him anymore without thinking of the pain she went through that awful, agonising, afternoon.

Something about Comet pulled her in, like a helpless spider falling down a plug hole, swirling away into reality. The only difference was that she liked it, a sense of realness overpowering a feeling of being in a constant dream.

This may be the start of something that will go down in history.