3. Football Matches

Haven- 03

"...and just like them old stars, i see that you've come so far, to be right where you are... how old is your soul?"

Ella.

Having psychology in the morning was debatabley inconvenient. It felt nice to know I could sit next to Niall, seeing as I wasn't much of a morning person and he made the unruly early hours nicer. Although, when I signed up for this whole college thing, I wasn't expecting 8:30 a.m. to be the time of a class, meaning I had to wake up even earlier. It was high school 2.0.

When I walked the familiar path toward the building I began sweating. Not the nervousness kind of sweat I could blame the heat on the first day of classes, but like the humid, gruesome, drenching sweat. I was never one to deal with the heat well, and this would be a decent of example of just how easily I can make my body exert. For God's sake, I didn't even understand how mornings could be this scorchering.

After a bit more huffing and puffing like the lazy ass I am, I arrived to my psychology class. At first, when I skimmed the room I couldn't find Niall. In fact, until I heard his loud, throaty laugh I was convinced he hadn't made it today. I turned my head quickly to the source of sound and smiled slightly. Once I was within hearing distance I spoke, "Hey!" I waved.

Niall immediately stopped talking to whoever was making him laugh so hard and abruptly shot his head in my direction. "Ella!" He began walking to where I was. We sat in our usual seats and began conversation, flowing easily with a few laughs here and there. I found it easy to just talk with Niall and I could tell we'd be great friends. Just as often as he found my New York slang funny, I found his Irish humor funnier.

When the long class was over, we split ways with a wave.

The rest of the morning I was all too aware that Niall's friend never did make it to class.

____________________

After an agonizingly slow morning, I made my way back to my dorm to get ready for Niall's soccer game. A part of me was kind of excited about being so social so soon into the first semester. I was never one to put myself out there while in school, and often times the only friends I made were the ones that came to me to strike up conversation.

"Hey Ella," Abby smiled once I came in our room. I jumped, unaware she would be here. She seems to just disappear every other time I try finding her.

"Hey, what have you been up to? I swear every time I wake up you're long gone." I chuckled, while absently sifting through my clothes trying to pick something.

"Oh, sorry, I go for jogs in the morning before my classes."

I nodded. "So you're the athletic type. I'll make a mental note of that," I turned around smiling. She shrugged with a grin.

"Speaking of athletics," I mused. "I'm actually going to a friend's soccer game tonight.. wanna tag along?" I finally found a blouse I liked and put it over my arm, turning around.

"I was going to one too! It's the first of the season, everyone is coming!" she said, her eyes lighting up. I inwardly groaned; I didn't like crowds, but I smiled and nodded along anyways.

"Then I guess we can carpool." I said, closing the bathroom door behind me to redo my makeup. I changed into a light blue shirt I got recently in New York. It only comes below my navel, which is probably why I don't wear it often. But apparently anything light and thin goes around here. I decided to keep my jeans on and sandals from this morning.

We got to the soccer field, situated along the east end of the buildings, and with a thoughtful glance I realized it was one of the best kept pieces of grass I've ever seen. They do not mess around here. We were just on time, although when we reached the bleachers there were so many lunatic frat boys here to do me good for a full year. When we walked up the bleacher steps to find a seat, they reeked of beer, shamelessly checking myself and Abby from head to toe without a second thought; as if it was a normal occurence for them. I didn't doubt that. After a few scoffs on my end, I found two empty seats and pointed to that direction so Abby could see. She nodded so we made our way over, and sat down.