27. Need You

Haven- 27

"...and they told you it was written in the stars, but you've never had the chance to look that far..."

Harry.

When I woke the next morning, I was late for class. Touching the subject of class last night hadn't been on my list of things to think of. It was nearly midday-- 11:43 to be exact-- and I smelt bacon coming from the small kitchen around the corner. The smell reminded me so much of the person that should've been in the bed next to me, and I actually rose from my warm sheets just to check. It wasn't her of course. I'd been silly to think so. It was Kane, and his bare back was to me, so I just rolled my eyes, heading back toward the bathroom.

There was no need to rush now. Class had started at nine. I wouldn't make it anyways even if I ran to catch the last bits, so I figured I'd just stay in. Remembering the text I'd sent to Ella last night brought me to pull my phone away from the night stand and check for any texts.

My chest lightened and a smile tugged at my lips when I found two.

The first one read, Did you sleep as shitty as I did last night? It was sent around ten this morning.

The next was sent only a minute later and said, Hope you have a fabulous time at class ;)

The second one had obviously been sarcasm but the first one tugged at my gut. She'd missed me too. Maybe not to the degree I'd missed her, but the small sentence validated that maybe her bed felt as lonely as mine.

I tried thinking of something witty to type back, but then I thought, if I wasn't even going to class, what was stopping me from knocking on her door and spending the day with her? Nothing.

I hopped in the shower with renewed determination and washed hurriedly, relishing the warm water far quicker than I normally would. I slipped on some black jeans, matching it with a black shirt, threw a blue plaid over top, and followed it with a leather jacket for extra warmth. I reckoned it was still cold out, and I didn't want to be freezing my ass off like I'd been last night. The thought of last night had my hands clenched and jaw just as tight but I shook it off. I wouldn't let a day go ruined by them again.

When I walked back out to find Kane he was happily munching on bacon at the counter, looking a little messy but better than I thought he'd make it. After our little spat yesterday he'd turned to acohol for his muse rather than his real target-- Miss Titties-- and drowned his sorrows in a little Jim Beam. Or rather, a lot.

"You hanging in there, mate?" I asked, rounding the corner and searching for my wallet.

He looked up with squinted eyes, only slightly startled. "Why you talkin' so loud?"

"Ah, so you're the kind to battle it out internally rather than showing the signs." He was hungover as fuck, and I felt a little smug.

"What the fuck are you even talking about, mate?" I knew he hated when I called him that, and he was always quick to throw it back at me in a mocked tone but I still did it. Probably wouldn't stop either. "Go see your girl. You get all weird when she's not around."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. There's some Advil in the cabinet over there if you ever feel like actually getting rid of that headache. See you."

He grunted in reply, waving me away. I grinned, turning and opening the door. The three step walk to Ella's was over in a matter of two seconds, and I knocked impatiently at the wood. The door opened, but it was Ella's roommate and a part of me withered away in dejection.

I had little to no time to react to the sight of Abby in her pajamas, and messy hair before she was pulling me inside by the arm, a finger to her lips in sign to be quiet. I did as I was told, watching her smiling eyes with suspicious ones of my own, and walked further in. I was only slightly aware of the door closing with a small click behind me before I laid eyes on my girl. Her back was to me, and the rest of the world slipped away in crumbles. She was dressed in only a white towel, dripping hair and pale skin. She didn't know I was here yet, and I used the advantage just to take her in. She was shuffling through the clothes in her small closet, opening drawers in the small cubby holes that held her underwear, one hand on her hip in frustration.