Scars

I woke with a grunt. My back hurt. My lungs hurt. Everything hurt. Except my heart. My heart was whole. I looked around me, not bothering to get up. Didn't even lift my head. Because my head was the only thing on me that was laying somewhere comfortable.

As I lay there, I felt her legs twitch. My concentration on the sky was broken as she cried. She cried. She? Who was this 'she'? Why did she seem so familiar, yet like a complete stranger?

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean it!" Her words interested me. I lifted my head from the girls lap, looking her over. She had obviously been crying. A lot. Her eyes were puffy and red, and salt crystals finely lined the edge of her mouth.
"Martinus, please!" My eyebrows knit together, tightly. It was a surprise to hear my brothers name in that sentence. Well, not the sentence so much, really, just along with the other two...

The girl held out her hands. "I didn't mean to hurt you..." She whimpered.
"Here, take them... I'm sorry... I was afraid!"
Her tone was full of hurt. I leaned over her, a worried frown on my face. Taking one of her outstretched hands, I felt a harsh line running across her palm. My frown deepened.

I turned her hand over. White scars ran over her hand, crossing each other a thousand times. A shallow cut ran along with them. I shivered, putting her hand down. Who would do this to themselves?