Broken Tears

I felt relief wash through me as we hugged.
"Don't you ever think you aren't good enough..." Martinus husky voice sent shivers down my spine. I nodded, snifling. And then I broke down again.

The tears streamed out of her eyes. Her beautiful, ice blue eyes. Marcus eyes met mine. We sat down next to the shivering girl, comforting her the best we could. I put my arm around her shaking shoulders. She put her head on mine. Marcus sat in front of her, holding her hands. Her shakes and shivers calmed, slightly. I wiped away her tears with a thumb. She tried a smile, but her mouth quivered. Another sob broke through her facade. I clutched her closer, bringing her into another hug. She sobbed into my shoulder, her tears soaking my shirt.

I had no control over myself anymore. My defenses were down. Crumbled and burned. Dust. As I sobbed I felt Marcus letting go of my hands. I looked up at him, sniffling.
"I'm just going to see if I can find some food..." He said, calming me down a bit. I nodded, wiping my eyes on my sleeve. We needed food. Without it we would starve. We would need to get moving again, too. And soon. There could be patrols out there, looking for us. Helicopters would easily be able to spot us from the air.

We sat there for a long time. Marcus had started a fire with the lighter I had brought. It flickered slightly in the wind, logs and driftwood crackling.

I sighed, getting up. Martinus looked up at me in surprise.
"You okay?" His voice was gentle and concerned. I smiled and nodded.
"Yeah. I guess I just needed to get it out. It's been hard, you know, to keep it secret..." He nodded understandingly, and looked into the fire once more. I walked to the shore, getting out my fishing hook, this time being careful not to prick myself. Putting my hand in my pocket again, I fumbled around for the thin rope I had brought.

I threaded the rope through the loop on the hook, knotting it tightly. Taking my shoes off, skirts swirling around me, I waded into the quiet water. With my feet I searched the riverbed for seaweed. I found some quickly, ripping out a handful for bait. The hook was big, the size of my fist, made for catching bigger fish, like salmon. I threw it into the water, as far as possible, making it splash. Now I just had to wait. And wait. And wait.

I shook my head, breaking the trance. I had been sitting, staring into the fire. Martinus lay on the rough ground, sleeping. The flames had engulfed most of the wood, grey ashes floating around in the air. I got up to throw some more logs into the flames. The fire sputtered, almost going out. I held my breath, not wanting to blow it out. I got up again as the logs caught fire. A dark silhouette was standing in the water. Noora. I walked slowly towards the shore, kicking off my shoes in the meantime. Standing with my toes in the icy water, I rolled my pants up as far as they would go, then jogged in, not caring about the droplets of water I sent flying.

"Wassup?" I asked, wrapping my arms around her neck. We had grown close, in the little time we had spent together. Maybe it was because she saved my life, twice, or just because it was only us three.
"Nothin' much... Just fishin'." She answered, not even turning her head. I buried my nose in her blonde hair, taking in her scent. Rose and water mint. She moved her head slightly, making her silky locks flutter across my face. My lips twitched upwards in a smile. The wind whispered in the surrounding willows. The black water swirled around us. I couldn't imagine a life without her.