Dawn

I woke early the next morning, my heart heavy. We had to leave today, but had no food. The fish had backfired, leaving me clueless as of how we would get food, once we left the river. And I was angry with myself for allowing me to remember. Remember the pain I had suffered in the past. I would probably have to return to my former home, once we were out of this mess. No one would ever adopt me, not before the system, and especially not now. Now that I was technically an outlaw. But at least I was alive. That had to be a positive.

Since waking, I had opened my eyes only once, and so I had no idea as of where I was laying. My first guess was against the rocky wall, but when it started moving, that could be eliminated. It moved, and my face collided with the ground. I grunted in despair at the thought of having to get up again. Just now, the ground seemed so comfortable.

As I stirred, I felt a heavy weight fall off of me. That would be Noora. Could she possibly still be sleeping? Marcus' snores gave me the information needed on him, but since her face was concealed from view by thick, blonde hair, I knew nothing about her. I gripped her lightly by the shoulders and pulled her up to me, hugging her to my chest, enjoying the warmth of her body.

A smile tugged at my lips as I snuggled closer to him. His arms held me protectively, but gently. Maybe this was better than the ground. Though my legs were starting to hurt, after being numb for so long. Marcus wasn't exactly weightless. I grimaced, but decided to just let it be. I had no intention of moving from the warm comfort of Martinus' arms.

"I'm so tired..." Noora mumbled against my chest. I looked down at her, the start of a smile lighting my face.
"Then sleep, baby..." I replied. And Marcus said I was bad at flirting?
"Ugh, you're so cheesy. And don't call me that."
I chuckled. She sat up, and looked at me. Like I was a wild animal, never seen before.
"Why don't you take a picture? It'll last longer." I teased. She narrowed her eyes. And punched my chest.
"Well, I would, if I had a working camera!" She threw her hands up in exasperation. I smirked. She punched. Again.
"Auw!" I grunted, clutching my stomach in mock pain. Though it did hurt.
"You don't hit lightly, you know?"
"It was necessary, where I lived." Was all Noora said, as she turned her head away from me, out towards the river. It shone mysteriously in the darkness. The sun had yet to rise. Observing my surroundings, I was astounded by the beauty. Ripples danced across the river, bathing in silver moonlight. Every now and then, a fish would splash out of the water, flicking its tail, scattering droplets of liquid silver towards the star speckled sky. Blood oak and beech trees framed the shore, their dark purple-red leaves rustling in the breeze. An owl called in the distance. Crickets played their music. And most beautiful of all, Noora lay in my lap, cheek resting against my chest, her hair spread out on my dirty grey shirt. She had managed to remove her legs from underneath Marcus' body, and was breathing heavily, most likely asleep. I looked around the empty campsite, my eyes stopping at the burnt down oven. Guess we would just have to go with the flow... Scavenge for food whenever possible.