Fat

"That's fucked up!" I heard Martinus mutter through the darkness. Now and then I could see their pacing silhouettes through the thick undergrowth. Sitting by the fire, I had a feeling what the two were arguing about; me. I groaned, tired of their argument. Cursing soundlessly beneath my breath, I stood up, threw a piece of driftwood on the fire, and marched up behind them, hands on my hips, pursing my lips, dirty red cotton dress billowing out behind me.

"Really, boys?" An annoyed voice behind me said. I jumped slightly, surprised.
"Holy shit!" Marcus shouted. He scares easily. I can't help smirking. Noora laughs, a melodic sound, flying gracefully through the air.
"Speak if the Devil..." I heard Marcus mutter, embarrassed by the change of events.

"Now, guys, what is the problem?" I asked, well knowing what the conflict was about, but wanting it confirmed from the two.
"The problem is tha–" Martinus began, but I interrupted.
"That me and Marcus almost kissed, yeah, but why's that such a big deal?"
"No, no, that's not... Wait, you kissed?" Martinus asked, his voice full of disbelief, and a feeling I couldn't quite name... Was it sorrow? Hurt?
"No!" I exclaimed.
"Well, almost. But we didn't." I hurry to cover up. Whoops.
"I mean, I thought you knew... Apparently not."
He sniffed disapprovingly, crossing his arms across his chest, and looked away, out over the shining river.
"Oh, c'mon." Marcus said, joining the conversation for the first time since his scare.
"Really, Tinus?"
"Who's Tinus?"
"It's short for Martinus." The boys chorused. Cringe.
"My friends call me Tinus." Martinus said with a shrug.
"And am I your friend?" I asked.
"I'd like that." He replied, his voice husky and seductive. I shivered. I was glad we weren't alone... Then I'd probably be in his arms right now, just as it seemed he wanted. Not that I saw any problem with that.
"Hellooo!" Marcus said, making us look over at him.
"I'm still here." He said as an answer.
"Right," I giggled.
"Sorry." An awkward silence followed, all of us looking down at the ground, waiting for someone to speak. After much waiting, I decided to be that person.

"But, guys, wait, what was the problem?" Noora asked.
"Uhh... Uhm... N–nothing. Nothing." Martinus stammered. I just kept silent. If I talked, I would blow the cover.

"Yeaahh... Right." I said, looking at the two with my right eyebrow raised. Totally didn't make sense. But then again, they're boys, they're not exactly supposed to make sense. I shrugged, and turned around to go check on the fire and the fish. Horror washed through me when I reach the oven-like structure. Cracks were running through the dried mixture of mud and clay, and a choking stench of burnt fish rose into the air. Unable to move, I just stood and watched, frozen in shape.

Turning around from my discussion with Martinus, I saw Noora. She wasn't moving, and resembled a statue in her paralyzed state. I couldn't even tell if she was breathing. My eyebrows pressed together in a worried frown, I walked quickly to her side, and laid a hand on her shoulder.
"Noora?" I asked, shaking her gently.
"Yes?" She replied, absentmindedly.
"What's wrong?"
"Huh?"
"I said, what's wrong?"
"The fish," She said, her voice and face emotionless.
"It's all burnt..." She pouted at that, and looked up at me with apologizing eyes, tears starting to form in the corners.
"I'm sorry, Marcus!" She exclaimed, the tears threatening to spill over, and then, when she could take it no more, rolling down her face. She was crying waterfalls.
"What?!" I asked, not believing my ears.
"Why are you sorry?! What is there to be sorry for?" I added in a gentler tone.
"Everything!" She wailed, her cheeks already getting red and blotchy from crying.
"Noora–" I started, reaching out to lift her chin. She slapped my hand away.
"Don't!" She cried.
"Don't give me anymore of your lies! I know you don't want me! I'm useless..." She sank to the rough ground, sobbing.
"Fat..." I heard her mumble as I lowered myself to sit besides her.

I stood a couple of yards away, jumping lightly from foot to foot, not wanting to disturb, but wanting to all the same. I grimaced as I thought, trying not to blast my brains out while trying to make my decision.
"Ugh." I said beneath my breath as I joined the sobbing girl and my clearly confused brother. Girl really needed some selfconfidence.