1

My snow white fur had been covered in grime for many years. As long as I can remember. The same went for the horrid chains attached to my muzzle and neck that cut away at the tender skin, blistering it and often harbouring infection. I growled in frustration into the dark, small and frozen cage I was kept in my entire life.
Struggling painfully over to the corner I brushed up against the limp body of my only comfort. The black wolf. He's been here longer than me but he still tries to protect me from the horrid people with razors, needles and whips. I cuddle closer to him in the ever closing darkness. He wraps his own body around me to share warmth, my safety blanket. Releasing a final chuff I fall into a fitful sleep.

I awoke with the huge explosion. I struggled to my feet and so did the black wolf who tries as best he could to push me behind him and into the corner. As far as the chains would allow us. My body was shaking with fear and exhaustion.

Another explosion rattles the room and I can't help but whimper as part of the far wall collapses and traps our chains even tighter to the floor under its rubble so that we're both trapped with our necks pinned to the floor. Myself stuck underneath the solid body of the black wolf.
"Sorry" he whispers but I just growl softly back at him as he tries to take some of weight off me.

Suddenly he begins growling and shuffling uncomfortably above me, hitting my sensitive tummy. It has been sore for some time now, I'm ill and so thankfully the nasty people were leaving us alone a bit more because of it.  Where the wall had fallen I could just make out a little bit of light into a larger, narrower room that had a silhouette of a girl there.

My own growl ripped through my sore muzzle as I could see her shadow approaching closer. Her scent was different to everyone else who had hurt us. But what was to stop her from doing the same.
"Shh" she whispered quietly as she advanced closer. The black wolf growls more feral now and thrashing harder in warning for her to stay away. "I'm not going to hurt you" her accent was different. Something I'd never heard before but still I growled.

Gently she places her hands down into the rubble; red lights dancing around them; then suddenly my chains  slacken. Within a second both of us jump as steadily as we can and dash past the girl and into the bigger room. The male always puts me closer to the wall. And then we saw it.

Light! Natural light that I dreamed about in my tiny head at night. I ran for it ignoring the pain that engulfs my body, the black wolf keeping pace beside me as we broke into the open. It was larger than I imagined. More grand and beautiful then I could have ever expected; even the sounds of the explosions around us couldn't take away it's beauty. All too soon the black wolf was pushing me with his still muzzled snout to head for the trees "keep moving".  The chains had been snapped but the collar and muzzle still remained.
"Run" was all he gasped as people began running towards us.

We ran. Ran as fast as we could through the beautiful trees and woodland covered in white, wet fully stuff that froze my paws as we dashed for any kind of cover. I skidded to a stop when I noticed the man at the base of the tree. He was dressed in funny blue and white colours with a big circular thing in his hand that had a star on it. He'd spotted us.
Growling as best a could I joined the black wolf in circling him. The man had a gash on his leg and the blood smelt amazing. How I longed to gouge my razor teeth into his plump flesh. Imagining the tendons shredding as I pulled the flesh from bone. I drooled.
Lifting a hand to his face he whispered to himself, "I have two huge wolves stalking me! What do I do?" He took a step closer to us but we still advanced working as a pack to hunt our prey. Quickly the man lifted his large circular thing and threw it.

It bounces off the trees surrounding us and whacked straight into the black wolfs side, knocking him over with a pained cry and enraging me to charge at the man who whispered something, a quiet word to himself.

Bullets suddenly spat up the dirt around us and we all dived for cover. Ignoring the events leading up to this I helped to push the black wolf to his feet with a "thanks" from him, blood seeping from his side. I push with my side as he leans against me and we troop as far as we can to safety. Away from the horrid room and darkness. Into the light.