5

White wolf POV:

"I'm a dad" he beamed jumping around like a puppy, "you're a mum" he chirps, "I'm a dad" he continues and I can't help but laugh gently at him as I pull myself up onto my front elbows.
"Thank you" I say quietly bringing him over to me and rubbing his head against mine, "for trusting them and letting them help; mostly for protecting me" I lick his snout affectionately
"Anything for my darling" he coos before settling down beside me.

Gently I move my head to my babies and push them together and lick there heads. My happy ears droop and flatten against my head.
"What?" He panics as he moves the blankets out of the way to nuzzle them himself "Oh no!"
I whine and begin licking them again, and again and again. Nudging them, licking them. My black wolf doing the same, whining and crying with me before throwing his head back and releasing a huge, pain filled howl.
My own joining in. Grief, desperation and hopelessness all seeping into it.

A short while later the door burst open that has us both jumping to our feet and growling like the feral animals we truly are. My weak legs and malnourished body struggle to hold my weight but I still stalk forward with my prey right in my sights. Wanda.

A few bulky men and another woman all soon follow and stop behind her, one arrogantly chuffing about his pretty face being hurt but I didn't care.
"It's her fault!" I cry as I growl venomously and stalk towards her.
"No it's not" my black wolf growls, defending that brat of all things.
"It's all her fault!" I cry and just as I'm about to launch myslef across the room he pushes his body in front of me so he acts like a huge wall between my razor sharp teeth and that things plump flesh.
"She helped us" he tries to reason with me but I just snarl and snap at his face to let me past but he doesn't move, "we knew they weren't okay" he admits sadly. Which was true.

They were too small. Too frail. Too weak.
"My babies" I whine as I let my body lean against his in defeat, forgetting about the humans for the moment, "my babies" I repeat as I look up to Wanda in apology. She smiles but it's a smile that shows me she knows grief.
Her eyes drown in it.
Her posture sags under its weight.
She's lost someone too.

Slowly my wolf pushes me back over to the corner where I sit on my hind legs and hang my head in defeat, leaning my head forward and nudge them gently, "please" I whine before I whimper as Wanda places a soft hand on my boney shoulders. Slowly she picks up one of the pups, all black, and as she kneels she begins rocking back and forth with tears streaming silently down her face.
"I'm sorry" she whispers clutching my baby to her chest as I nudge my head onto her knee, "I'm sorry!" She cries loudly as she openly sobs and my own eyes close as I whine with her through the night.