2

After a while we found a small stream. My body felt as if it had been ripped apart and my bones were ringing with effort to keep us standing. "Rest" was all the black wolf panted as he collapsed to the floor at the waters edge. Whimpering at him I nuzzle as gently as I can go get him up, "please don't leave me" I cried as I stared at the crisp water in longing. My muzzle prevented me from lapping it up. The black wolf just let out a pained sigh before falling asleep. Deciding to join him I curl up as best as I can before him. My protector.  The wound in his side already healing with his better healing abilities than me. We'll be fine in the morning. Falling asleep is slow and then all of a sudden.

I'm awoken suddenly when the black wolf jumps to his feet and begins growling. His body standing over mine and pressing me under him but I can hardly lift my eyes to see what he's protecting me against. A small whimper escapes my lips instead of a growl. Something wasn't right! I felt awful.

"Hey buddy" I hear the girls voice once again. The same from the dark room; low, calm and gentle. Faintly I hear her footfalls slowly approach closer with the black wolf above me growling more and now barking at her to stay away. "stay down. I'll protect you" he whispers to me as I simply rock my head into a more comfortable position. Death would be a gift at this point.

"I'm going to help you" she whispered, "look I have nothing to harm you" the black wolf sniffs at something. Taking a single step forward but still hanging over me. Breathing was becoming hard as the collar was chocking me where it lay on my throat but I don't have the energy to move.

As if by magic, the collar and muzzle give a small 'clink' and fall loose around me, the same occurring with the black wolfs. My tongue can eventually leave my mouth so I can pant a few more lungfulls of air.
"See. No harm" she coos. I hear her approach the water and scoop some up. The black wolf above me stops growling and the next thing I know I can hear him lapping up the water. "she seems nice" I pant as he grunts in approval.

She takes a few steps away. I still can't see her due the black fur that covering  me and the effort it takes to open my eyes is too much. I keep them closed and pant as much as I can.

"Steve are you sure it was the black one injured. He's up and about but I think the white ones dead. It's covered in blood" she whispers to someone just as the blue guy had earlier.

I hadn't realised I was covered in blood. Maybe that's why I feel so bad?

"You gonna let me have a look at your friend buddy?" She asks quietly and feel him stiffen. Torn between trusting her with me or not.
"Please" I say. Anything has to be better than this drained feeling. Even the dark room.

Slowly he steps from over me but still never leaving my side as he gently brushes his now soft muzzle against my sore neck. I whine helplessly. "she harms you I'll kill her" he states as the girl gently places a hand in front of my nose so I can sniff. She smells nice.
I manage to pry one eye open long enough to take in her beautiful porcelain face with lovely dark brown locks, like that of almost chocolate, hair that floats down around her body in the cold breeze. She carefully bends down to the river and scoops a handful of water up for me to thirsty lick from her soft palm. My eyes shut in defeat after and I sigh into the ground.

Her gentle hands softly scratch behind one of my ears and I can't help the happy whine that emits from my tired body.
"Helps on the way hunnie" she whispers as I hear a whizzing of machine and the air pick up.
"It's okay" she whispers to us both as we become scatty at the noises.

I dont know what happens next as sleep ambushes my mind faster than the strike of a python. At least we were safe. For now.