4

Wanda pov:
The huge beast stalks into the room. It's eyes taking everything in and cautiously assess that it's safer to stay with me than run away. How could someone traumatise a beautiful beast like that? Leave it so malnourished it can hardly stand for long periods of time? Chain them up so harshly? HYDRA.
My own static mask never flickers with the anger I'm feeling and the wolf continues to circle the room before charging at a door on the side wall that adjoins his with his friends. BAM!
His head is like a battering ram as he charged at the door again WHACK! I cringe at every noise and cry he pleads for her. His beloved.

I sit calmly on the floor beside the still open door and gently ask him to calm down. He begins pacing.
Back and forth
Back and forth
Back and forth

I'm beginning to feel dizzy just watching him when Natasha turns up with two huge bowls: one meat, the other water. Placing them down a few feet from me we watch as the huge skeleton of a beast lashes up the water and eats a few chunks of beef carefully. Waiting for us to do something as he gnaws with his razor sharp teeth.

I turn to Nat who gives a sympathetic glance towards him, "they cleaned her up as much as they could but they don't want to do too much, not even an x-ray, as she's too weak. They made her as comfortable as possible" she sighs before leaving the room and silently closed the door behind her.

At least we can let them say goodbye.

Trying not to cry I stand and gently smile at him, he's wonderful, "would you like to see her?" I ask as I open the door adjoining the two rooms and watch as he dives inside to her side where she lies on a mattress near the centre far wall. A blanket draped over her legs for warmth.

He nudges her neck and gives her a quick lick before dashing back into his room, myself still standing there watching, and observe as he grabs his blankets and rushes to her with them before placing them over her making a little nest. He then grabs the mattress and pulls it into the far corner under the spectator glass so we won't be able to see much, a little more from cameras if that. Then he raced back again and takes a mouthful of meat to her and dumps it beside her, trying to encourage her to eat.
Helpless.
I know how he feels.

Eventually he lays himself down and snuggled her close to him in the cocoon of blankets. Safe.

Turning on my heel I exit the now dimly lit room as I dipped the lights from there raging brightness to a softer, dull glow. Immediately I'm engulfed if a tight hug from Steve as I close the door and break out into uncontrollable sobs.  "He's gets to say goodbye!" I cry as he holds me tighter and rubs my back, "I didn't get to say goodbye" my fists hitting against his chest in my own anger and grief.
"I know it hurts" he coos, "but would he want to see you like this Wanda?" He lifts my chin so I'm looking into his eyes with my blurry ones. Wiping away a tear with his thumb. Desperately I shake my head before hugging him tighter and getting a hold of myself.
"I'm sorry" I croak to Steve as we break apart and move towards the observing room where the other Avengers are seated trying to watch the wolves. Steve's hand stays on my lower back in comfort before being removed when  Clint gives me a hug and pulls me into the seat beside him.

After a while nearly everyone has left. No one said a word. Just silently praying.
Watching.
Waiting.
Only Clint stayed and he had fallen asleep on my shoulder a good hour ago.

And then the black wolf moved. From where we were you could only see his tail but it began to gently wag. I watched a while longer until he stood up, his stooping shoulders reach the hight on my own when he's beside me, and walkd over to his meat bowl and brings it over for her. Gasping I sit forward and cause Clint to whack his head off the back of the plastic chair, "ow! Wand-" he rubs his forehead but shuts up when he sees what I'm seeing.
On his paws were blood. Fresh. It followed him and printed on the white tiles as he pushed his own water bowl to the corner below our view.

He began pacing along the bottom of the glass.
A predator protecting its kill.

Blood following him.
Not his own blood.
Jumping out if my seat before Clint can stop me I rush around the corner and burst through the door causing a defensive wolf go jump in front of his kill. No!
Not his kill!
His mate!
There she was. Lying down still on her side but watching me carefully with energetic eyes and twitching her ears at the noises Clint was making from the doorway behind me. The big wolf still growing.

Slowly I sit on the floor showing my open hands to him, cooing like that to a child so he sees I'm no threat. Clint does the same beside me, a little more hesitant than I but he still tries.

And as if by magic the wolf changes. His tail begins wagging furiously and quickly dives to his mate where the blood splatters over the blankets then dives towards us with happy bounds then back to his mate. He keeps doing this until I begin to slowly scoot over, Clint giving me a glare and not moving from his spot on the cool floor.

I reach out with an open hand and sit beside the female wolf, scratching her head and her eyes close in pleasure, I smile. Then slowly the black wolf peels back the bloody blankets to reveal the two little bundles tucked neatly againsg her stomach.
Puppies!
Both completely black but one had a white front right paw they were snuggled up in all the fur and warmth of there mother. My smile becomes a beam and Clint slowly edges over. A goofy girn on his face when he sees. "she was..." He trails off. We don't even attempt to touch them but I still rub a the females head and ears, leaning her head into my palm for a better stoke and Cling gave big scratches down the black wolfs back.

I couldn't help myself. Slowly I got up and watched as the white wolf pulled the cover back over her puppies and then I rushed out the room. Clint hot on my tail as I ran up the three flights of stairs in Stark's tower, the lift would take too long, Cling keeping up, as I burst into the main floor where Avengers lived and shouted as load as my lungs would let me for the whole world to hear,
"SHE HAD PUPPIES!"