Prologue

15 Years Earlier

The thud of his boots echoes against the floor as he paces, his eyes scanning over the faces of the two other people in his office. The man stops his pacing for a second, only to murmur something incoherent and begin pacing again. He sits down in his chair, leaning on the desk in front of him. A young child, only eleven years old, sits in the corner of the room with his feet dangling from the chair and his face obscured by shadows. A rather scrawny man, a scientist, stands in front of the desk, wringing his hands nervously.

"Travel across the world. Find me some fine specimens and bring them back here as soon as possible.  While you are gone, I will have someone else go across America," the boss says finally, leaning back in his chair.

The scientist's eyes widen. "Sir, that's... ridiculous. There's no way we can bring children here legally from-"

"Did I ask for it to be legal? I don't care how it happens, but I need children here ASAP, understand?"

"Why can't we use adults?"

The boss nearly laughs. "Adults? Adults are strong-willed. Children are easily manipulated. Easily torn away. They can't put up a fight."

The scientist squirms. "Yes, but what about the parents?"

"Who cares about the parents?" the boss insists. "They could visit the children if they so wanted to, but I doubt they will as soon as they see what their precious angels have done. Now, do as I say or there will be consequences."

"Yes sir." The scientist turns on his heel and leaves, passing the child in the corner with a glance out of the corner of his eye.

----

A little boy watches from the side of the road as a van drives past, covered in mud thanks to the recent rainfall. He adjusts his Irish flat cap slightly, his blue eyes stark against the dark sky. He watches as the van pulls to a stop and a tall, lanky man steps out, headed straight towards him.

"Hello? Are you alright out here in the rain?" the man asks, shielding his eyes from the downpour.

"Um, yeah," the little boy replies in a thick Irish accent. "My mom told me not to talk to strangers."

"What a silly rule." The man's face contorts a little with guilt before becoming emotionless again. "I've come a long way to find a kid like you. Do you want to have powers?"

The boy's eyes light up. "Powers? Like those heroes I see on TV?"

"Yes, yes!" the man replies. "Just like that. Do you want those powers?"

"Yeah!"

"Well, all I have to know is your name, then I can take you to a special place where everyone has powers like those heroes."

"My name is Seán McLoughlin, but everyone calls me Jack," the little boy says. "Can my mom come with us?"

The man's heart drops, but he keeps his face blank. "Sorry, Jack, but only you can come."

Before the boy can scream or yell, the scientist grabs him and covers his mouth, muffling all sound. He opens the back of the van and lifts him in before closing it and leaning against the outside, trying to fight the guilt that threatens to consume him.

Tears pour down Jack's face as he looks around, trying to make out anything in the dark. A sob escapes him and he quickly covers his mouth.

"Who are you?"

Jack freezes, looking around. "Who's there?"

"Dan." The boy's accent is British.

"I'm Seán, but you can call me Jack." The Irish boy sits up straight, looking around. "Where are you?"

"I'm over here. There are some seats and some food if you want," Dan replies.

Jack moves towards his voice, and when his eyes adjust to the darkness he can make out a young boy with brown hair and dark eyes. He sits beside him, digging into some of the snacks the Brit hands him.

"Where is he taking us?" Jack asks softly.

"America, I think," Dan replies, glancing out the window. "His accent is American."

"I don't want to go to America," the Irish boy whispers. "I want to go home."

--

The boss looks at them from behind his desk, satisfied. Jack shifts his feet, his hands shaking noticeably.

"Well done," the man compliments the scientist, who stands behind them.

"Thank you, sir," he replies.

The boss grins. "Please, make these boys... comfortable, now that they are so far from home. I'm hoping you will start today."

The scientist nods rapidly. Jack glances over at Dan, who stares at the floor and refuses to meet the eyes of the man behind the desk. The Irish boy looks from him to the boy sitting in the corner, whose face is concealed by shadow.

The boss stands and walks over to them, placing a hand on each of their shoulders. "What are your names?"

"Seán," Jack says.

Dan glances at the boss' hand. "Daniel."

"That's wonderful." He locks eyes with the scientist. "Start with Seán. I've already given you the papers."

"Start with what?" Jack asks, fear creeping into his chest.

Nobody answers him. The scientist approaches them, taking them by the shoulders and leading them away. They exit the office and head down a long hallway, the walls bare and painted grey. Their footsteps echo through the hall and against the ceiling, filling Jack's ears with the eerie sound. As he glances back towards the office, he notices the little boy from before following them, his face hidden by his hair. Jack looks forward, realizing that they're passing a row of rooms, names printed over the doors.

"Daniel, your room is over here," the scientist says, gesturing to an unmarked door. He pulls the door open and nudges the Brit inside, locking it again as soon as he's inside.

Before Jack can say anything, the scientist is already dragging him to a room at the end of the hallway. They reach a bright, white room filled with lights and machines, and the man orders Jack to lie down on the table. As he does, he straps down his arms and legs.

"What are you going to do?" Jack asks, his voice filled with fear as he struggles against the restraints.

"I'm putting you under," the scientist replies. "Don't worry, you won't feel a thing."

In seconds, Jack's eyes grow heavy and he slips into darkness.

The first thing Jack feels is the immense pain in his left eye. He sits up, realizing that he's been moved into one of the rooms he saw along the hallway. The room is off-white and windowless, with a simple single bed and attached bathroom. He stands and fights the dizziness in order to get to the bathroom.

What he sees is less than pleasant. His white in his left eye is now green, the blue remaining the same. It looks almost infected. He backs away from the mirror and heads back to his bed, hoping that this whole thing is just a terrible dream.