Chapter Thirty-Eight - Stage One Complete

Jack heads back out into the street, rejoining the mess of weapons clashing and powers colliding. Smoke billows from several of the buildings that tower overhead, their inhabitants escaping from the back doors with their hands covering their heads.  Glancing around the city, a deep sense of dread enters his heart.  He knows what he must do, but does he even want to do it anymore?

"Dan and Cry are heading off in their vehicle now," Matthew says into the earpieces. "Jack, Stephanie, you know what to do."

The Irishman nods and starts running around the heroes, forcing them into a group like a dog rounds up sheep. Several of them try to hit him, but their attempts are fruitless. His peripheral vision becomes a blur as he maintains speed, his feet pounding against the concrete like clockwork.

Stephanie approaches the group, her hand firmly grasping the wrists of a terrified Marzia. The Italian girl struggles, but to no avail.

"Marzia!" Felix shouts. He takes a step forward, but soon realizes he can't go anywhere and stops. Jack's gut wrenches but he continues to run. Allowing his heart to take over right now could compromise his teammates and possibly Mark.

"Felix!" Marzia calls back, her voice strained.

Stephanie clenches her jaw and strides past the circle of heroes, the Italian girl growing more and more distraught as she grows farther from the group. Ken transforms into an eagle and soars into the air, but the villain girl instantly takes control of his body and drags him back to the ground.

"I suggest none of you follow. Unless, of course, you want your little Italian to die," Stephanie says as Ken touches the ground. When none of the heroes move, she smirks. "That's what I thought."

With that, she releases Marzia's arm and raises her hands, the Italian falling under the villain's control. The other heroes watch in horror as Marzia raises her pen and starts drawing, the air filling with the grinding of stone on stone. Seconds later, explosions shake the earth and cause everyone, even Jack, to stumble slightly. The city, once clear and bright, becomes choked with dust and pieces of debris.

"What the heck is going on!?" Phil shouts over the noise and confusion.

"A wall around all of San Francisco was just built," Matthias replies through the earpieces, his voice shaky. "And the Golden Gate bridge has been blown to smithereens. We're trapped."

The heroes grow silent as the grinding ends and the earth returns to a state of relative calm. Marzia, under Stephanie's control, lowers her arms and stands there like a puppet on strings. The villain observes her for a moment, leaning on one hip.

"You know, now that we've done what we needed to do, do we need her?" she asks.

"Leave her alone!" Felix yells.

Stephanie doesn't glance over as she raises Marzia's hands, bringing them to the side of the Italian girl's cranium. Before anyone can react, she twists her head to the side with a swift motion.  Her neck snaps with a sickening crack and she crumples to the ground.

Jack instantly stops running, his gut threatening to release all of its food onto the pavement. Felix screams and races forward, thrusting his fist towards Stephanie's face. The villain dodges and races off before he can inflict more damage, leaving the Swede to fall to his knees beside his girlfriend's body. The other heroes stand in shock, watching as Felix holds Marzia's lifeless form against his chest, his sobs cutting through them like knives.  Ken, burying his face in his hands, drops to his knees.

"Why don't you heal her?!" Felix yells, glancing at Phil. "Why don't you save her!?"

The Brit shakes his head, squeezing his tear-filled eyes shut. "E-even I can't bring someone b-back from d-death."

Jack takes a slight step back, trying his hardest not to vomit. He turns and prepares to race off, but a strong hand stops him.

"This changes nothing," Mark utters.

Jack turns, shaking his head. "No, no, God, I'm so sorry... I don't have to come over tomorrow-"

"Jack." Mark's tone grows serious despite the tears in his eyes. "I need you to."

With that, he turns back around and heads toward Felix with the other heroes. The Irishman clenches his teeth and turns on his heel, racing off towards the Institute without looking back.

Matthew's voice comes over the earpieces and crackles in Jack's ear, bringing him back to a reality he very much wanted to leave.

"Stage one is officially completed."