Chapter Thirty - An Overdue Conversation

Jack bolts upright, his entire body rigid as electric shocks course through his muscles. In a panic, he rips off the wires and throws them to the ground. The room grows still as he sits there, panting and staring at the cables.

Mark watches Jack with disappointment in his eyes.

Anti kills Mark.

Mark's ghost hovers in front of him, blaming him for his death.

Jack squeezes his eyes shut, unable to shake the nightmare. Knowing that sleep is no longer an option, he drags himself out of bed and to the bathroom. Standing in front of the mirror, he tenderly unwraps the bandages that cover his chest.

The sight underneath is enough to make him almost gag.

Massive black and green bruises surround each enflamed, reddened cut. They appear to be on the verge of infection, stinging when the air hits them and aching when touched. In areas where bruises don't paint his chest, his skin is pale and almost sickly. He can't imagine how bad these could have been if he didn't have a quickened immune system.

Grimacing, Jack cleans the wounds and wraps them again, this time pulling a shirt over the bandages when he's done. With that, he turns and exits the washroom, heading down the hallway and towards the kitchen.

Upon entering the room, he sees Cry chasing a shrieking Dan around in circles while Matthew and Stephanie laugh. He walks along the wall, unseen, and opens the fridge. While his back is turned, he hears the laughter and yelling cease.

"Hey, Jack," Dan says.

"Hey," the Irishman replies monotonously. He pulls out a slice of leftover pizza and turns, taking a seat at the breakfast bar. Cry crosses his arms and sits himself down in one of the chairs, refusing to look at Jack.

"How are you feeling?" Stephanie asks. "Will you be ready to go out if we get called?"

Jack shrugs. "Probably."

Matthew nods. "That's good, right?"

"Sure."

Dan sits on the stool next to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Come outside with me."

Jack nods and leaves the room, followed by Dan. Once the door is closed, the Brit turns to him. The Irishman stares at the ground, his arms crossed over his damaged chest.

Dan watches him, his brown eyes staring straight through the Irishman. "How are you feeling?"

"We're seriously talking about our feelings?" Jack asks incredulously.

"It gets to a point where every man has to talk about this no matter how awkward." Dan smiles for a moment before it disappears again. "I've never seen you so emotionally distraught before."

"You were there when I was dragged from my home country and forced into the back of a sketchy van, right?" Jack asks, sarcasm lacing his tone.  At Dan's glare, the Irishman rolls his eyes and sighs heavily.  He leans against the wall and tilts his head back so he's looking at the ceiling.  "Fine, I'll give you an actual answer.  A person I really care about probably hates me, okay? Is that good enough for you?"

Dan raises an eyebrow.  "Mark?"

"Ding ding ding! Give the man a prize."

"What happened in that room?"

Jack exhales through his nose. "They took of my eyepatch. Anti gave them information about Mark, then they kidnapped him and brought him in. Anti fed him lies about me and made it so that he'll probably never trust me again."

"Christ..."

"Yeah." Jack falls silent, the weight returning to his chest and closing his throat. He shuts his eyes, willing himself not to cry. He cannot cry.

"Why would they do that?" Dan questions.

"To make me loyal."

"Oh."

"It worked."

"Seriously?"

Jack nods. "I would rather be loyal than get Mark killed because I was being selfish."

Before Dan can respond, Matthew's voice crackles over the intercom.

"All villains are now on call. I repeat, all villains are now on call."

Jack and Dan lock eyes before heading off, getting into their super-suits. The lycra and polyester clothing feels tight around his bandaged chest, but he does his best to ignore it as he and the other villains sneak out into the streets. From their concealed entrance, they can see the anti-heroes firing their weapons into the sky. Civilians run from the scene, huddling in groups as they try desperately to escape.

"Come on down to join the fun!" Arin and Danny's joined form yells.

"Are you kidding me?" Cry mutters.

The heroes walk down the street and Jack's heart immediately begins pounding. He takes a step back, trying to subtly gasp for breath as anxiety floods him. Dan grips his shoulder, trying to calm him. 

"It's gonna be fine. Don't think about him," he insists.

Jack nods and braces himself, putting on an uncaring demeanour. When Matthew gives the order, the villains race into the street.