Chapter Twenty-Six - Spreading the Word

Mark leaves Curatrix, his head pounding. The villains are still inactive, so he spent his entire work day breaking up street fights and signing papers for the police departments. His answers concerning Jack still haven't been answered, which has resulted in his stress levels rising considerably. He pinches the bridge of his nose, desperately wanting to crawl into bed and escape reality.

The back of his neck prickles, causing the hero to glance behind him. He frowns, seeing nothing.

As he faces forward again, something clubs him across the back of the head and everything goes black.

When he comes to, he's bound and sitting upright in a chair. He winces as he becomes aware of the throbbing in his head. A man he's never seen before stands above him, twirling a pen in his fingers and observing him like a scientist would observe an organism. Mark shakes his head, trying to regain his senses. When he finally looks around, his stomach flips.

Anti stands there, grinning with a psychotic twinkle in his green and blue eyes. He watches Mark like a lion would watch his prey, prepared to pounce at any moment. His hands may be bound above his head, but that doesn't make the hero any less scared of him.

"How's my little puppet?" he asks, sadistic sweetness lacing his tone.

Mark scowls. "Anti."

"Aww, you remember me!"

"Shut up," the hero nearly spits. He clenches his fists, confused by the emotions that rage through him.

The physical body of Jack is standing right there, white, blood-soaked bandages wrapped around his chest and his skin looking more pale than usual. His signature green hair is damp with sweat, hanging limply over his forehead. Jack's eyes, however, are not his eyes. His smile is not his smile. Both of these features are consumed by Anti, who twists his face and makes it horrific.

"I'm so glad you're here. I finally have my chance to pound you into the ground!" The monster cackles, pulling against the chains in an attempt to get closer to the hero.

"What did you do to Jack?" Mark demands. His eyes travel once again to the bandages covering the villain's chest, his heart clenching.

"What did I do to Jack?" A grin stretches across Anti's face as he gestures towards the man in front of him and two men that Mark assumes brought him here. "More like what did THEY do to Jack.  I'm simply the voice in his head!"

"You sick bastards... you'd abuse someone on your own side like that!?"

The man in front of him snarls. "Be silent. You do not know how our operation works. Besides, that is not why you're here."

"Why am I here?" Mark inquires through clenched teeth.

The man ignores him, turning instead to Anti. "Can Seán hear us?"

Holding up his finger, the monster listens for a moment before grinning. "Yes, he can."

"Good. Please, Anti, explain just how Jack feels to our little captive."

Mark grimaces. "I would rather Jack explain it himself."

The monster laughs. "I am Jack! Believe me, I'm in his head! I can pull up his thoughts and recite them like poetry!"

"Please, don't make this longer than it has to be," the man says.

Mark watches as Anti nods, swaying back and forth on the chain. "The entire time he was at Curatrix, he wanted to leave. The very thought of you..." He pauses, grinning at Mark. "Makes him cringe. He hates everything about you. As soon as Cry came, he left without a moment of hesitation."

The hero shuts his eyes. He doesn't want to believe it. There's no way it's true. But why would Anti hesitate from sharing real thoughts if this is what they are?  Is that why he's so happy about this? His stomach churns as the monster continues.

"He wanted you to pity him so you'd be vulnerable. He thinks you're soft and weak. Remember when he removed his eyepatch and let me beat you to a pulp? He was revealing his true feelings!" Anti dissolves into wheezing, high-pitched laughter as Mark feels his throat close up. He will not cry. He will not show his emotions. The hero stares down at his lap, attempting to blink away his feelings.

Anti giggles. "Aww, the weak little hero is crying!"

Mark swallows, taking a deep breath. "You're lying."

"Why would I lie if the truth is so good?!"

The hero glances up at the monster, hatred and pain boiling in his gut. One side of his brain tells him that Anti is telling the truth, that Jack played him, that everything is a lie. The other side, the smaller, nagging side, screams at him not to believe. With his mind warring with itself, he clenches his teeth. Either way, he doesn't know how if he'll be able to trust Jack, and that hurts him more than anything else.

"Are you finished?" the man asks, glancing up from his clipboard.

"Oh yeah, I think ALL the juicy details are out now," Anti replies.

"Good. Boys, leave him on the front steps of Curatrix." He chuckles. "Spread the word about what the villains can do."

The two burly men approach Mark, knocking him out again in the blink of an eye.