Chapter Forty-One - Painful Goodbyes and Bits of Joy

Time goes too fast and eventually, Jack is checking his watch and pulling himself away from Mark. The hero's heart breaks at the thought of him leaving and going back to the Institute.

"Do you have to go?" Mark asks. He knows it's a stupid question, and he already knows the answer, but he feels a deep need to ask it anyway.

"You know I do," Jack replies, heading towards the door.

Mark looks down, biting his lip. "Yeah."

They reach the door and the Irishman pulls his coat and shoes on. As he places his hand on the door handle, the hero reaches out and grabs his wrist.

"We've been through a lot, Jack. We've beaten each other up, given each other scars, captured each other, seen death together..."

"Why are you talking about this?" Jack asks, tensing up.

"I saw your scars while you were asleep, and I feel guilty about a lot of what happened.  There's so much that we haven't told each other because there's not enough time in the day, but I just wanted to let you know that we're trying to find a cure for your eye, and I'm sorry, and-"

Jack cups Mark's face in his hands, effectively shutting him up. His visible eye is filled with a mixture of emotions as he takes a deep breath. "Let's put it behind us, okay? Don't worry about my scars and don't worry about my eye. I've learned to live with it. We can't think about everything that's happened. It hurts too much."

Mark nods, willing himself not to cry. "Okay."

"And don't blame yourself. A lot of my pain is because of my circumstances, not you."

"If you stay here, you'll be safe."

Jack presses a finger to his lips. "You know I can't stay here. It's too dangerous."

The hero nods again and wipes the moisture from his eyes. "I know, I know. Just please, do your best to stay safe."

"I will," Jack replies. He presses a goodbye kiss to Mark's lips, and the hero does everything in his power not to pull the Irishman close and run his fingers through his hair. The thought of Jack leaving is enough to make him feel like he's going to break down.

"Bye," Mark whispers.

"Do you have work tomorrow morning?" Jack asks.

"Yeah."

The villain smiles lightly. "Then I'll see you tomorrow."

Mark nods and watches as Jack opens the door and exits the house, taking a few steps into the rain before sprinting off down the street at the speed of light.

The Institute is not a welcome sight by any stretch. The walls are bare and void of colour and the floor is creamy, off-white tile. His room is a cross between a hospital ward and a prison cell. It makes him miss Mark's house, which is full of art and trinkets and books. Despite the depressing room, he can't find it in him to be sad. He just spent an entire afternoon with Mark, getting more than he ever could have asked for. The city might be crumbling around him, but he can't even think about that right now. He feels elated, and nothing can bring him down.

Intent on changing into pyjamas, he pulls his hoodie over his head and drops it on the floor. As he does, the scars on his chest catch his eye. A multitude of pink disfigurements line his chest and stomach, marking up his pale torso. He finds that even these scars can't bring his mood down. They're part of him now, and he's okay with that. Mark didn't find them disgusting, and that alone boosts his confidence more than anything else.

He ditches his jeans and pulls on a pair of pyjama pants before crawling into bed, covering himself with the blankets. Whirring steadily beside the bed is the shock machine, which Jack decides not to plug himself into.

For the first time in a very long time, the Irishman allows himself to fall asleep.  And, for the first time in years, he doesn't wake up screaming.