Chapter Nine - Repressed Memories

Cry crosses his arms, the direction of his gaze unknown due to the mask that covers his face. The boss sits in the chair across from him, his chair swivelling every so slightly.

"You can take off the mask, Cry," he says, the movement in his chair ceasing.

The masked boy shakes his head. "You know I won't do that."

"I've seen you without," the boss insists. "I want to see your eyes."

Cry lets his arms fall to his side, his hands balled into fists. "We're getting off topic."

The boss sighs and pulls out several documents, each with a name scrawled across the front. Cry reaches over, touching them gently with his fingertips. A moment of understanding passes between the two as the boy picks up Matt and Ryan's folders.

"We took them in as adults," the boss says, tucking the other documents away. "They were not brought up like you and the others. Now they're gone, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they may not come back."

"What do you want us to do about it? Locate the anti-hero base and tell them to come back to the abuse they endure here?" Cry scoffs and tosses the folders back onto the desk. "It won't happen. If they joined the anti-heroes, we can't get them back."

The boss stands, his eyes blazing. He walks around the desk and approaches the boy, his face mere centimetres from Cry's. "Do not sass me, son."

"You aren't well. Don't strain yourself."

The man clenches his teeth and returns to his chair, stuffing the files back into his desk drawer. "If you can't get them back, kill them the next time you see them. I will accept nothing less."

"Yes, father."

"I hope you continue our mission when I'm gone."

Under the mask, Cry gives a tight-lipped smile. "Of course, father. You know I believe in the cause as much as you do."

The boss waves him away, and Cry inclines his head before turning and exiting the office. He heads down the hallway, his footsteps echoing lowly on the tile floor. He runs his finger along the walls he knows all too well, trying to repress the memories that threaten to come up. He can recall the exact day that they came. Cry reaches a corner, his finger tracing the crease where the two walls connect. He had been sitting in this very corner when they showed up. Matthew had been so excited to see his father again after a long trip across the sea. Cry almost laughs. How could anyone be excited to see a man who you know to have kidnapped other children? The two kids, both from Europe, had stayed in their rooms for the next two days that followed. He can't blame them for being scared. Who wouldn't be?

Cry continues to walk, his finger travelling over two metal doors. He had been sitting beside these doors when one of the hired scientists came through, leading a little girl along with him. Jack and Dan had left their rooms for the first time since they arrived in America to see her come in. Stephanie was the last one to enter until Matt and Ryan were brought in a mere two years ago.

Cry stops walking as he approaches the door to the lab. His hand falters over the door handle, his mind and heart racing. Can he open it? What memories will come back if he does? He takes a deep breath and turns the handle, pushing the large metal doors open. His eyes dart over the room. The surgery table, the machines, the vials of liquids, all of it is the same. His stomach churns as the screams of his comrades echo in his ears.

He turns quickly and slams the door shut, breathing heavily. What will happen when he takes over the institution? Will he be able to mutate other children, just as he had been mutated? He presses his back against the door and looks up, meeting Jack's eyes.

"What are you doing, Cry?" he asks. He sounds better now, most of the alcohol he had consumed probably out of his system.

The masked boy shakes his head and straightens up. "Walking down memory lane."

A shadow of a smile passes over Jack's face. "Oh, now that's a bad idea. Anyway, what did the boss say?"

Cry bites his lip, unbeknownst to Jack. "We can't get Matt and Ryan back, so we were ordered to kill on sight."

The Irishman's mouth opens and closes several times before he manages to form words. "They were our friends for two years! Why would we just kill them? Why did they leave us?"

Cry holds up his hand, silencing Jack. "They were abused. Simple as that. Joining the anti-heroes is an easy escape. I don't want to kill them, but we were ordered, and I don't want to risk losing any of you guys because of them. Please, don't worry about it."

Jack throws his hands in the air. "You can't just drop a bombshell on me and tell me not to worry!"

The masked boy turns and heads down the hallway. "Sorry Jack, boss' orders."

"Cry!  They were our friends!" 

Cry doesn't turn, the mask on his face hiding the tear that rolls down his cheek.