Chapter Two: Zak's POV

I ran.
Pure terror filled me as I bolted down the gravel driveway straight for my car, locking myself inside and quickly putting it into reverse. There was only one thought running through my aching head and that was 'RUN!' As I began to back out of the driveway a man appeared seemingly out of nowhere, forcing me to slam my brakes on, stalling my impala. My heart was thumping wildly and I swear I was about to completely lose my mind. Not only was there some very threatening looking claw marks on my front door but I had also just nearly ran someone over! This was not a good start to my new life!
"Who the hell is this?"I muttered, frustrated, tired and still very much frightened by my experience. The man walked casually over to the drivers side window and tapped on it gently, a broad grin spread across his face, no trace of annoyance at having been almost ran over.
I eyed him carefully. He looked to be around 30 maybe a little younger, his face was rugged and unshaven, but this suited him completely. His hair, brown with natural flecks of reds yellows and oranges, was pulled back into a small, loose ponytail. But what caught my gaze more than anything else were his eyes. They were a very light brown, and, just like his hair, was flecked with beautiful reds and oranges. It looked odd but very beautiful at the same time.
I was brought back to reality as he tapped the window again and gestured for me to roll it down. I did so, feeling suddenly flustered and embarrassed that I had been staring at him so openly and for so long.
"Off out so early?" He spoke in a deep soothing voice which instantly swept away the fear that had gotten me so riled up in the first place. "Let me introduce myself, I'm Nova, the landlord. You spoke to my father on the phone yesterday as I was unfortunately wrapped up in a meeting." He smiled warmly, his eyes literally sparkling in the sunlight as he crouched down further so that he was now eye level. "You must be Zak? Pleasure to finally meet you." He held out a huge calloused hand, which I timidly took in my own.
"Nova?" I questioned, checking that I hadn't misheard him.
He nodded and chuckled, "bit of a strange name right." He looked up at the house, releasing my hand as he did.
My heart sank and eyes widened in fear of what he might think when he saw the door. What if he thought i did it. Would he kick me out? I had literally nowhere else to go. In a blind panic I stumbled out of the car, almost falling to the ground in my hurry. Standing next to him made me feel powerless and very small. He was huge! His body was toned, muscular and tanned and to top it off he had at least another foot on me. He looked down at me, his dazzling eyes holding mine before shifting away as they raked over me, eying me up as I'd done to him. It made me feel awkward and I fidgeted where I stood looking at the gravel as I couldn't hold eye contact any longer.
"What did you do?" He asked.
Panic surged through me and before my brain could process what he was actually talking about my mouth opened, "it wasn't me I swear. I have had the worst night! Something was outside all night pushing and banging on the door and that was on the door when I opened it this morning." I took a shaky breath and was about to go on rambling when he held up a hand, silencing me.
"Not the door. We have wolves and bears in the area and I will explain to you later how best to ensure they don't come so close again. I'm talking about your hand." He grasped my wrist gently and pulled it up. "This is one hell of a bruise kid."
I was about to grumble at him for calling me a kid when I clearly wasn't but instead a yelp escaped my open mouth when a sudden rush of pain raced through my hand.
"Sorry, just checking that nothing was broken. It doesn't look like it but it's better to be 100% so come on." He said.
I was about to ask him what he meant but before I could he was walking back down the driveway, pulling me in tow.
"W-wait! What are you d-doing?" I struggled to release my arm, but failed. This stranger was literally dragging me down my driveway at this point and I stood no chance of winning any battle of strength against this god-like man. But that didn't mean I wasn't going to try, not that digging my feet into gravel did any good whatsoever.
"Relax kid. I'm just taking you to see the doctor, don't want this hand getting any worse do we." He huffed in annoyance as we stepped out of the drive.
I was suddenly rendered speechless and any form of protest had vanished from my mind as my eyes fell upon his car. It was a Beatle! He'd obviously customised it to keep up with the times but the basics were still there and it was the best one I'd ever seen. I had a little passion for classic cars and this one had topped the list. It was an off white colour, sporting thin blue racing stripes and it just looked amazing and I couldn't help but stare.
"What do you think?" He chuckled as I closed my mouth in embarrassment, which had fell open upon seeing the classic car. "Come on, get in." He called as he passed me and clambered into the drivers seat.
I did as I was told, ashamed with myself for not even putting up a fight, but something inside me was completely at ease with this man and I didn't understand why.
We drove in a comfortable silence, the soft hum of the engine was music to my ears. The inside had been reupholstered, keeping to the original image of the car, the only thing that was new was the radio and speakers that had been installed, along with the touch screen system that most new cars had nowadays. I looked out of the small window at the passing village. It was busier than I thought it would be. People were strolling along getting their daily shopping or chatting with friends. No one seemed to be in any rush and this was what I found odd. City life was always busy meaning you had little time to truly enjoy the finer details in life. A soft sigh escaped my lips. I was already missing my hometown too much, the feeling of familiarity was something that I now prayed for especially after the night I'd had. Being here, in an unknown village, being driven to some unknown doctor by this stranger scared me. It made me feel completely alone and I didn't like it.
A hand materialised on my knee making me jump in surprise at the sudden contact. I looked round at Nova and he smiled at me before bringing his eyes back to focus on the road.
"Its ok. You'll soon get used to things here. Everyone is friendly and we look out for each other as it's only a small town. It won't take you long to find a place for yourself here." He patted my knee gently, reassuring me, before putting it back onto the steering wheel.
My cheeks flushed hot and I fidgeted, feeling suddenly very aware of myself. "I-it's the first time I've been on my own so it's a bit overwhelming I guess. Plus I didn't get any sleep last night either so I feel a bit out of it I guess." I tried to explain without sounding like the child he thought I was but clearly failed when he chuckled.
"Don't worry. I'll be here if you ever need anything." His voice was soft and i found it quite soothing to hear.