Chapter Six: Novas POV

The rage and anger came surging out of me when my eyes caught sight of Zak's bloody form lying still on the floor. Without even thinking I flung myself at Derek, tackling him to the floor, pinning him there. He smiled cruelly up at me. My anger began to rise to an uncontrollable level and my control over my wolf wavered. Nails turned into claws, teeth into fangs, my bones breaking and reshaping as my body slowly changed into my wolf form. Derek's eyes glistened in excitement as he pushed me back, his form also shifting along with mine. Quickly the cabin became far too small for the two of us, our beast forms too large to fit in the small space. Charging forward I tackled him, crashing through the wooden cabin wall. We clawed, bit and tossed each other round until we were both worn out and bloody. My golden fur was soaked in my own and Dereks blood, my limbs and body aching from the exertion but I refused to think about that. I wanted to end this now. I could hear my beautiful little mates heart stutter, his breathing ragged and shallow as he lay alone on the dirty cabin floor. He needed me now.

One final lunge and I caught Derek by the throat. I clamped my jaws down hard and flung him. His form disappeared amongst the trees, the only signal that he'd landed was the loud crash of a sapling falling down. I seized my opportunity. Changing back to my human skin, I ran full pelt to Zak's side.

"Zak! Hey kid can you hear me?" I took his wrist in my hand and felt for a pulse. It was so weak that I could barely feel it. I put a bloody hand on his cheek, praying that he'd open his eyes for me. I looked down at his blood soaked clothes but dared not look under them. The pool of deep red blood that surrounded him made me feel sick to my stomach.

''Come on, let's get you to Micky." I said to myself as I lifted his limp body gently off the floor. He let out a pained groan and his eyelids fluttered but remained closed. I cradled him close to my chest and ran as steady as I could, being overly careful not to jolt his fragile body.

Thankfully my Beatle wasn't too far away and once Zak was laid gently across the back seats I sped down the woodland trail. He groaned at each bump we hit, sending painful jolts through his body. My heart squeezed painfully knowing the speed I was going at wasn't helping, but I refused to go any slower. I needed to get him to Micky now before he went beyond my reach.

I sped down the main road, cutting what would've been a 15 minute journey into a 5 minute one. I pulled up outside Micky's house and threw myself out the small car.

''Nova what's going on? I can smell blood.'' Micky came running out of his front door and down his garden path. He reached my side as I opened the back door of my blood stained car. He gasped loudly, muttering curses under his breath as he took in my own bloody form and Zak's.

''Get him inside quick!'' He barked.

As if I didn't know that already! I followed Micky into the kitchen, cradling Zak's limp form in my arms. He moved the fruit bowl off the table and patted the wood. ''Put him on here.'' He instructed before he ran out the room.

I did so gently. His little body shook in my arms. His face contorted in agony as I lay him on his back. He gasped and cried out as the pain clearly became too much for him to handle. My heart squeezed and my chest grew tight. I felt helpless as I watched his face contort in pain, all I could do was stroke his hair and whisper into his ear, letting him know I was there.

Micky came running back into the room, his arms full of the necessary equipment needed to help mend Zak. I looked at the supplies and frowned deep when I saw no morphine or the like to help relieve my little mate of his pain.

''What about," I began but was cut off by Micky's saddened voice.

''I don't have any. It's all at the clinic and we don't have the time to go and get it right now.'' Micky grumbled as he began cutting open Zak's shirt, carefully pulling it away from his wounds.

I felt sick. There was so much blood that I could barely see the gashes that covered his pale stomach. Blood was flowing still, pooling once again beneath his frail body.

''Keep it together Nova. I need your help so don't go passing out on me!" Micky tried to make that last part sound a little like a joke but we both knew that he was being serious. I actually felt like I was going to pass out, but I took a couple of deep breaths to steady myself, my eyes watching Micky as he cut away Zak's trousers. My heart sank.

''Shit." Micky said as he peeled off Zak's trousers. A single gash ran down his right thigh, ending above his knee. The muscle had been nastily torn and the bone, which was clearly visible, was snapped in two. "We'll have to cauterise it." Micky sounded pained when he said this and I knew why.

Given his current condition and the lack of any sort of pain killer, Zak's body might not be able to withstand the added shock, plus the extra pain it'd put him in.

I gulped, ''it's the easiest way to deal with it before he looses any more blood. He's lost too much already.'' I said shakily.

Micky nodded and went to quickly prepare the necessary items. I stroked Zak's wet forehead, wiping his dark bangs out of his eyes. ''You're gonna be fine. You hear me kid. You're gonna be fine.'' I touched my lips to his, they were cold. A knot form in my throat. I couldn't lose him. I'd never felt this way for anyone before. From the very moment that I placed my eyes upon his blurry picture on the house documents I knew that he was the one. My one and only mate.

The other half to my soul.

Micky came back with rope. ''Tie his legs down, one at the ankles and one just below the knee. This one round his chest.'' Micky handed me the rope and I did as asked while he disappeared again.

''Right hold him down." Micky reappeared with an iron rod, the tip glowed red hot. I quickly put my weight on his chest, pinning both his arms, taking my right hand and placing it on his forehead, making sure he wouldn't be able to move at all.

''Ready?'' Micky looked uneasily at me and I nodded. It had to be done. We both gulped.

Zak's body jolted as the iron rod touched his muscle. His cries were deafening. I looked into his eyes, which were now wide with shock, tears streaming down his face.

'N-No-va!' He gasped. He ground his teeth together as another wave of pain hit him. I shoved the side of my hand into his mouth to prevent him biting his tongue as he clamped down as another wave of pain racked his body. I winced as I felt blood trickle down my palm.

''Shhh, it's ok. It'll be over soon. Hang on a little longer for me. Okay." I begged him. He struggled against the restraints in pain, but they held firm.

He cried out again. I looked over at Micky. He'd made decent progress. The muscle had been reattached so I assumed the bone was set also. Just a little longer.

''Done." Micky sounded relieved. He grabbed a bottle from the counter and massaged it into the tender scar before bandaging it tight. ''I'll  put a cast on it once the swelling goes down. For now this will have to do." He wrapped a couple of heavy wooden chopping boards to the back of Zak's thigh to act as a splint. If it was any other situation I may have found it somewhat amusing to use chopping boards in this way.

Next he began working on the gashes across his stomach, this time sewing them shut rather than cauterising them. I backed away from the table, feeling sick once again. Zak had fallen unconscious again. I watched his chest rise and fall in uneven patterns, my own breaths falling in uneven patterns as nausea washed over me. But I had to keep it together. Zak needed me.

''Sit your ass down on that chair now before you pass out.'' Micky snapped as he sewed the gashes shut.

I pulled one up and sat looking at his sweet little face which was now white as a sheet, his beautiful rosey cheeks gone. I wiped his damp forehead with a towel I got from the drawer and hummed an ancient lullaby softly as Micky worked his magic.