Chapter Twelve: Nova's POV

Nova's P.O.V

I watched as my little mates body went limp with a forced sleep. My wolf whined not liking the sight of his mate drugged up to calm him down. Why did he even become like this in the first place? Not wanting to dwell here too long, I turned to Doc, the Pack doctor, thanked him and left with Zak curled protectively into my chest, making my way to my room.

"How is he?" My mothers voice whispered from the doorway as I lay Zak down carefully on my bed, pulling the covers over him.

"Doc gave him something to make him sleep. He said he should be fine when he wakes up." I told her and she smiled a little at me but I didn't return it. Something had gotten him frightened, I'd felt it, but I didn't know what it was. I felt so terrible for making him sleep when he didn't want to. But he wasn't calming down at all. "Can we have some time alone please mom?"

"Of course sweetie. Call me when he wakes up and I'll bring you two something to eat alright." She said softly and left when I nodded.

Turning back to my mate I ran my fingers through my tangled hair in frustration before crawling under the covers next to him. I snuggled him into my chest as he whimpered and whined in his sleep. This continued on and off for a couple hours before it gradually got worse. His body shook and would jerk occasionally telling me that he was probably having a nightmare. He was very restless and at that moment I regretted deeply making him sleep.

"Sshh, baby. Your safe. I'm here." I pulled him even closer to me and whispered sweet nothings into his ear, my fingers idly twirling strands of his hair between them. I wanted him to calm down, but nothing seemed to be working. "Zak?" I whined as he screamed suddenly. When he continued to whimper and toss around the bed I ran to the door, flung it open and yelled for my parents hoping they could help me calm him down. I turned back to my mate as he lay trembling on my bed. He looked like he was in pain and I didn't know what to do to make it stop.

"Nova what's wrong!?" My father asked as he raced through the open door, panting a little breathless from running with my mother close behind.

"I-I don't know." I began before being cut off by another scream from my mate. I sank to my knees at his side, tears falling from my eyes out of sheer frustration on not being able to help him when he was so distressed. "Why is he screaming?" I asked frantic as my mate continued to whimper and cry out. "Help him. Please dad." I pleaded looking into his eyes.

"I'll go get Doc." My mom said running out of the room.

"Nova, sit him in your lap. You being so close may help to calm him a little." Father said. He was at a loss too. His eyes showing worry for my mate.
I did as he suggested, even though I knew it wouldn't work as I was just lying next to him holding him to me and he still was freaking out. Either way I cradled his now feverish body to mine, rocking slightly. It didn't work of course. My eye flashed to my fathers in desperation.

"Whats wrong?" Doc came running through the door with my mother trailing close behind. He looked down at Zak's trembling form curled in my arms and sighed.

"What are you sighing for!" I growled. I was pissed that he dared show this sort of attitude towards my mate. Doc turned and spoke to my father before leaving the room, which pissed me off even more.

"Calm down Nova. He'll feel your emotions." Mother soothed coming to sit next to me, placing a gentle hand on my back.

"Sorry." I mumbled as Doc returned with another syringe and bottle. He filled he syringe and made a move towards us.

"What do you think your doing with that." I growled, making him stop in his tracks.

"Its to wake him back up." He said plainly, offering no other explanation.