Honourable Knight

Chapter 2: Honourable Knight

Arthur was standing in the court yard of Camelot, facing the wooden platform where sorcerers were sentenced to death. He was wearing moonlight white tunics and trousers, contrasting his environment.

The whole yard was dark and there was a strange blue light surrounding the place.

The Prince looked around, seeing everyone dressed in dark colours that were either dark blue or black, as he got pushed by someone, probably a guard, behind him.

To his shock, Arthur realized he was had silver chains around his neck, wrists and ankles.

As he walked to the platform, he caught an image of a heavily pregnant Merlyne with Gaius embracing her as she cried in his arms. Both were caged, chained and also wearing the same moonlight white colour as he.

The Prince was lead up to the platform, facing the balcony where his father and Morgana were standing.

Morgana looked like she could scream it out while Uther had the same angry face as he always had during an execution.

Arthur swallowed. He was going to be executed!

Uther spoke up. "In my Kingdom, there is no place for an art such as sorcery. Those possessing the very power that destroyed everything, should die instantly. And it seems sorcery keeps invading my life daily as there was magic at the very heart of Camelot for more than 20 years! It possessed my only son and heir, and to prevent this Kingdom from falling, I shall have to execute them."

The crowd was entirely silent, only Morgana snickering as tears left her eyes.

"Arthur Pendragon, Merlyne Pendragon née Dragonborn, Gaius Dragonborn, you have been found guilty of practicing magic at the very heart of this kingdom and trying to destroy the crown."

The executioner came from his place, lifting his axe in synch with Uther's arm as the drums started playing once again.

Arthur was pushed down on his knees, head pressed onto the wood so the back of his neck was bare.

Uther brought down his arm, as did the executioner with his axe.

**/**

Arthur woke up from his nightmare, almost screaming. His eyes flashed moonlight white for a moment.

"Sire! Breakfast!" the voice of Merlyne called as she happily opened up the door.

The Prince looked at her.

Merlyne was in a good mood, dressed in a light red gown with golden edges, tight sleeves and a wide skirt that flowed in the wind as she walked. There was a lilac flower in her hair.

Arthur raised his eyebrow. "Who gave you that flower?"

"Gwen got a small bouquet and gave one to me, said purple was my colour." Merlyne replied as she placed the tray on his bed. "What do you need to wear today?"

"My armor, the tournament will start tomorrow and I have to prepare." Arthur groaned as he sat up against the pillows and shoved the tray closer to him so he could eat.

"Where's the whole tournament about?" Merlyne asked as she opened up the curtains to let the sunlight in.

"Knights have to show all their strength and prove themselves. Father expects me to win... just like the past 3 years." Arthur grumbled.

"You don't sound like you like it." Merlyne commented as she tried to find an undershirt in Arthur's closet.

Arthur swallowed some of his meat. "Sometimes... I just wish my father would show me some love. Ever since mom's death after I was born, he has been distant and cold. Morgana still has some vague memories of him being a loving father to her. I wish I had known him like that."