A Stinky Stanky Troll Of A Stepmother Problem

Gaius and Merlyne walked through the Lower Town, Merlyne laden with pots.

The court physician growled lowly. "Keep up, Merlyne. We've got a busy day ahead."

"It's a busy day every day! You and Arthur, you work me to the bone." Merlyne complained.

"Do stop moaning. At least the work's interesting."

Merlyne shook her head with a sigh. "Gaius, we're collecting pots. We do the same thing each and every Thursday at exactly the same time and nothing interesting ever happens."

Suddenly, somebody grabbed the young woman's arm.

"Please, we seek Uther Pendragon. Where can he be found?" the man said.

Merlyne blinked. "I..."

A seal was pressed into the witch's hand. "We have urgent business with the King."

The physician looked rather irritated. "I'm sorry, any business you have with the King will have to be pursued through the usual channels."

That was until he saw the seal. His eyes went wide at the sight of it. "But this is the seal of the House of Tregor. Where did you get this?"

"It does not belong to me." The man said, he pointed at the hooded woman.

The woman pulled her hood back, revealing a woman's face which estimated her around 40 years of age, her brown hair still not greying. "It belongs to me."

Gaius bowed. "My Lady."

Merlyne was staring, transfixed. She feels something is wrong about the woman, something terribly wrong, but she couldn't voice it as she couldn't place it.

The maid has no choice but to bow for the lady.

Gaius and Merlyne are walking down a corridor, Gaius seemed lost in thought.

"There's something about that woman... I just don't get it." The girl said before she looked at her uncle, who she saw was lost in his own mind. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing..."

Suddenly, a familiar voice called for her. "Merlyne! Job for you."

The dark haired witch shook her head. "Work, work, work."

*//*

The Pendragons sat with the Lady at dinner, Uther at the head with both women on his left and Arthur on his right.

"Well, this is wonderful. Thank you." Catrina gently said.

"It's an honour. The Houses of Tregor and Pendragon have been allies for as...well, as long as anyone can remember." the King's eyes were glimming.

The woman smiled. "My father often spoke of you, My Lord."

"And I will remember him always."

"I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to meet him." Arthur regretfully said, speaking with a sad voice.

Catrina cast her eyes to the table. "I'm sorry too. For the House of Tregor is no more."

"Well, no, Catrina, it lives on in you."

The woman shook her head. "I only wish that were true.

"It is, My Lady. Your courage, your modesty. And you are as you always were, ever since you were a child." the elder Pendragon male told.

"Ah, I fear I am much changed since then, my Lord."

"Oh, yes, it's true. You are far more beautiful now."