Gwaine

After a day of hunting in the woods, Arthur, now ruling regent of Camelot, rode up the hill to the village behind it. Merlyne rode behind him, the black horse carrying a leather bag with weapons and another with dead prey.

Both of them wore civilian clothes, which meant there was no Pendragon emblem present on either of their clothing.

"It's not yet night, and we're already done hunting. You outdid yourself this time, Merlyne." the royal warlock commented.

But Merlyne didn't look happy or pleased, rather frustrated. "I need sleep, which I haven't had in over a week since your dad was poisoned."

The royal sighed, but with a smile. "Sure. We'll rest in that village over there, they'll probably have a tavern with a few bed chambers."

"Thank you!"

At least she was a bit happier.

"But first, some food. I'm not letting you sleep on an empty stomach."

"Fine."

*//*

Arthur and Merlyne dismounted and tied their horses up in the small village near the local tavern. The village was a simple one, craftsmen and farmers making up most of the population.

"Sometimes, I do like these simple places. Gives me the sense of anonymity." the regent in disguise said while looking around.

"Guess I won't really have to behave like a servant in public." said Merlyne softly, she too looked around.

"Let's get going, I don't want to delay your sleep with my talks."

"Finally you're shutting up."

*//*

As they sat down on one of the tables, one of the waitresses approached them. "Afternoon. What'll it be?"

"Er... do you have a speciality in dishes? My companion and I need food before we can rest." Arthur said.

"We have a daily stew, fresh chicken and pig meat with vegetables in sauce." the woman told. "Do you also want something to drink?"

"One quarter litre mead for me, what do you want Merlyne?"

"Just plain simple water, it doesn't have to be a lot." the witch replied.

The waitress nodded as she scribbled it down. "You'll have your drinks within two minutes. The stew takes a bit more time."

"Do you provide places to sleep?" the warlock asked.

"We have a few chambers, I can look if there's one free." and she walked to her counter to make their drinks.

*//*

The peace in the tavern was broken after their stew was served. The entire place went quiet as a big man set foot in the establishment.

The man went to the counter, where the waitress was slightly trembling. Most possibly in fear.

"Afternoon, Mary. Business looks good."

"We have our better days."

"I don't suppose you'd begrudge me my share, then."

With a sigh, the woman placed a small pile of coins on the counter. "This is all we currently have, I still have customers who have not yet finished and paid."