Festivals for Magicians

It was a rare moment that Arthur could escape the duties of crown prince at the citadel of Camelot. Escape from his father's grasp and strict rules, escape from the magical ban just a moment and be himself.

This time, he'd gone alone while Merlyne was busy with her duties as the physician's apprentice. The young warlock had gone to the lake of Avalon, far from Camelot and his life as it's Prince.

Suddenly, a wave of water washed over him.

The blonde spun around. "Who's there?"

A woman's laugh was heard.

Arthur turned his head and found the woman who did it. "Morgause, why am I not surprised that it's you?"

The woman, Morgause laughed. She hadn't changed a lot since the warlock had last seen her. Her blonde hair was more curly, her dark brown eyes still sparkling with the glim of freedom and the goodness of magic. She wore a figure-hugging white dress with the customary three-moons tiara of the High Priestess on her head. "You know me Arthur, you know me."

"More than I wish to. You got a towel or something?"

"Man, you're a warlock. Use your magic, dollop head."

Arthur rolled with his eyes and murmured a spell to transfigure a couple of leaves into a nice soft towel. "But why did you approach me?"

"Well, the feast of Midsummer is approaching. You haven't been present for the past three years at any of the celebrations." Morgause replied. "The people are getting worried about their High Priest as he only thing they know is that he's alive."

"It isn't easy to have a double identity, I'm glad I haven't been caught yet." the royal warlock told.

"Indeed, not many of us have been so lucky."

"You are talking about your mother."

The Priestess nodded. "She was caught by a single guard of Camelot, he killed her on sight. She didn't do anything against him, because she wasn't an evil person."

"I'm sorry to hear that." the prince of Camelot said, he did feel for her.

"She'd never harm a fly, none the less a person." Morgause told. "But can you be there this year?"

"I'll try if I can, but I cannot promise. My father might go sorcerer hunting, he wants to take me with him this year." Arthur told.

The woman shrugged. "I can understand. But can you tell me something about your last adventures? I heard a servant had been possessed by Cornelis Sigan and that the Witchfinder accused your physician... and something about a troll."

"Well, those three are true."

"No easy life, huh?" the Priestess asked.

The royal warlock shook his head. "It's never really calm in the city... there's always some evil sorcerer trying to kill my father or me."

"What was it with the troll? And how ended it with the Witchfinder?"

Arthur smiled. "The witchfinder is now dead, my maidservant Merlyne ensured that by making him spit out a toad. And the troll... well, she spelled my father, I played dead, and I killed it."

"Such a noble man." Morgause said. "You mentioned your maid, she's a witch?"

"She's the daughter of the Dragonlord, I didn't know until we travelled to a druid camp to heal Morgana of her horrible nightmares." the warlock told.

The blonde woman's eyes wided. "Balinor's daughter in Camelot? She's alright?"

"She's been accused, but those were fake."