Chapter 5 - When The Past Meets The Present

"Long ago," Augustine started, "there were four sinners who did wrong to this world. Each one of them did something that put a curse on them. Let's start with the strongest of them all, Phyllis Dykes. He was a strong willed man, never the one to break his promise. But on one day, he had to. He promised his friends that he wouldn't let them get hurt, but in the end, all of them perished in a horrible tragedy." He paused and look at me. "You, Tetris, are his reincarnation." 

"Me?!" I said, started. "But how do you know for sure?"

"Give me your palm." He said as he outstretched his hand. "Do you see the M that has been engraved in your hand?" 

"I do," I started, "But that could mean anything, right Augustine?" 

"Ahh, but it doesn't." He said as he studied my hands carefully. "See, when Phyllis found out news that his friends had died the way that they did, he went into a blind rage. He turned to black magic and sought vengence on those that had hurt his friends."

"Alright, I understand that he took vengence and used black magic, but how do you still know that it's me?" I persisted. "I've never been one to use or even consider black magic as an option." 

"Ahh, but it's not the part of you using black magic that's the reason I say that he is your past." Augustine said. "Tetris, what if I were to say your friends right now are in real danger? That they have knives at their necks and any move you make will lead to their ultimate demise..?" He questioned and studied the look I had on my face. It was one full of disgust and anguish. 

"I would .." I trailed off. I didn't know what else to say. Just the thought of Vivi and Andy .. and Mel .. all being trapped and were about to die just ... drew a blind rage from inside.

"!!!!!!!!" Everyone became alert as there was a shift in the atmosphere. They all looked at me as I kept staring at my hand with the cursed M enscribed in it. 

"I'd kill ..." I said in a different tone than before. "I'd kill every last one who would hurt my friends ..." The back of my hair stood on its ends and all I could feel was numbness. And pain. The pain of losing those precious to you. Then I snapped back into reality as I felt a hand grip my shoulders tightly. 

"...ris.... Tetris!" Vivi, Andy and Mel kept calling me. I opened my eyes and I found everyone over me. 

"Tetris, are you alright?!" Mel asked me. 

"Yeah, I'm fine ..." I said as I sat up and grabbed my head. "But what happened? I swear I blacked out ..." I looked around and every one of the werewolves were transformed, ready to attack me at a moment's notice. "W-What happened?!" 

"Stand down, everyone." Augustine called out. They did as they were told and reverted their transformations. "Tetris, do you remember what you felt like when you blacked out?" 

"Huh? That's a strange question." I stated, confused. "But yes, I do remember.. I was numb and had no emotions except for blind fury...." I trailed off. 

"Do you now believe that you are Phyllis Dykes?" Augustine asked me, confident of the answer that he wanted. 

"I do," I said, thinking back to the way I felt when I stared into the palm of my hand. "but I can tell you one thing that I'm also certain of: I do not ever want to feel that again." 

"I'm afraid, Tetris, you must." Augustine sighed. "See, Phyllis Dyke's legacy left a curse on his spirit. Now, those that are reincarnated with his soul must suffer the same fate."

"Does that mean .... !" Startled, I looked back at my friends. "I won't let that happen, Augustine." 

"I know you won't, young man." He said. "But, your fate is inevitable. Time and time again, the curse has laid ruins to countless of people's lives. How will yours be any different?"