Chapter 9 - Meet The Luna (Mel's P.O.V.)

Tetris had just finished his Beta challenge and we were walking on this beaten path towards the new pack house. It wasn't single file, everyone was just scattered about, dodging trees and avoiding small brushes that sprout up. 

When am I going to find my mate? I wondered to myself. Tetris already found his. I looked up to see them walking together, holding hands. They looked so happy together. Wait a minute, am I getting jealous of Cathi?! I thought. No! That's just weird! I shook my head and tried getting the thought out of my head. I didn't say a word to anyone. I just kept to myself, like I used to do back in class before I met Tetris and the rest of my friends. Then, Len nudged my arm.

"Mel, are you alright?" He asked quietly. He didn't want to alert the others.

"Yeah," I whispered back, "I'm fine. Why do you ask?" 

"I don't know." Len said as he leaned back. "You just seemed a little down and you were quiet." 

"Hey, that's me for ya." I replied. "And I was just thinking about my future. That's all." 

"Yeah, I feel ya." Len said as he stared at the clouds. "Hmm .. I wonder when I'm going to find my mate." At that, Cathi turned around. 

"Say, Len, when do you turn 18?" She asked. 

"Uhhh, October 19th, why?" He asked curiously.

"That's today, numbnuts!" She screamed at him. Everyone turned to look at Len. 

"No way." Len said, flabberghasted. "Today is October 19?!" He pulled his phone out. "Oh shit."

"Happy Birthday, Len!" I said as I gave him a hard punch in the shoulder. 

"Ow!" He yelled. "What was that for?!" 

"For good luck, numbnuts." I said as I smiled. "I like that nickname for you now. Thanks Cathi!" 

"You're welcome!" Cathi replied with a smile of her own.

"Well... thanks, everyone." Len said as he was still rubbing his arm. "But yeah, I'm 18 finally. That means I should find my mate soon." With that, everyone started walking again.

I just looked down after he said that. So he's the next one to be mated ... I thought to myself. Len looked over at me and saw that I was back to the way I was before. 

"So hey, Mel!" He called over. I looked up at him. "Can you flash out your weapon so I can see?" I realized what he was doing, but I played along. I flashed out my spear and handed it to him.

"It's kind of heavy." I said as he took hold of it. He nearly dropped it. 

"Kind of heavy?!" He yelled. "This is like, 200 pounds!" He struggled to hold it with both of his hands. "How can you hold this with one hand?"

"Huh?" I was confused. "It's not even close to one pound! Here, let me see." He handed it back to me. It really felt like it was weightless. "I don't know what you're talking about, Len." I stared at him as he, too, was perplexed. 

"Try tossing it at that tree over there." He pointed to a stall, thick tree. 

"Okay." I replied. I manuvered the spear behind me and aimed with my other hand. After I gathered enough strength, I tossed the light spear into the tree trunk. 

!BOOM!

The tree split in two. Well, more like everything above the spear itself was blown up and everything below it was bearing the weight of the spear. Everyone turned to see what had happened to the tree and stared at Mel.