Chapter 19. The Rescue Plan.

Chapter 19.

The Rescue Plan.

Lynwood sat wide eyed, mouth hanging open from the tale being told to him. Who would have thought things were so terrible complicated in the kingdom? Farran had killed his own brother, he had made himself king through dishonest means. And now he was ready to do anything to keep that crown and the throne that had never rightfully been his.

Well not if Lynwood had anything to do with it!

"So," Eadberht placed his elbows on the table and gazed straight at Lynwood. "Did you come to me with any ideas?"

"Well, um, that is," Lynwood suddenly felt rather ridiculous telling his plan. After all, he was only a child and telling his simple little plan to a man old enough to be his grandfather made him feel very foolish.

"Come on boy, let's hear it."

"It's not much of a plan really. I was just hoping to sneak into the dungeon and get the prince out, then fly away on Caderyn to the cave. I didn't really think of how I was going to do it; that is why I asked Collyn is she knew anyone who could help me."

"In general it is a good plan," Eadberht smiled. "But it will take a little more detailed thought. Now, what I think is I could get you into the dungeon by pretending that I captured you. There is a price on your head, you know."

"I know," Lynwood nodded. "I heard it was something like twenty gold coins"

"Oh, it's gone up my boy. It's fifty gold coins now, and I think they were talking about raising it to one hundred."

"Wow!" Lynwood whistled through his teeth. "Why on earth would they want to pay so much money for me?"

"Because you're a dangerous lad. Somehow, singlehandedly, you managed to get the letter to the prince, capture the princess right from the hands of the guards, and still remain hidden. No one knows where to find you or even where to look."

"It wasn't really singlehandedly," Lynwood corrected. "If I was alone I would probably be still hiding somewhere in the woods. None of this would have happened if it wouldn't have been for Caderyn."

"Is that the name of the dragon?"

"Yes."

"Have you known him for long?"

"No sir, only since the evening my father was arrested. He was wounded in the forest and I helped him. He has looked out for me and my sister ever since. I have to say, dragons are such strange creatures."

"They are magical creatures," Eadberht pointed out. "I used to study a lot about them, they really fascinated me when I was young. Read as much as I could about them."

"Lord Eadbhert," Lynwood took a deep breath. "Do you...do you know," Lynwood tried to get the words out correctly. "Is he...I mean...do you know, that is, well Elaine, the wife of Tristan Blacksmith, who was also arrested with my father, told me that there is a large possibility that my father might have been already banished. Do you know if he has?"

Eadberht puffed on his pipe. "He has not. I think the king is keeping him as bait to try and catch you. As far as I know most of the men inovled in the plot are locked up in the dungeon."

"So Father is...well...I could still get him out of there?" Lynwood felt a flood of relief sweep over his soul

"I don't see why not. He's in the same dungeon as Wilheard. We get one we might as well get them all."

"Do you think Wilheard will be a better king than his uncle?"

"Only time can tell that," Eadberht shrugged as he dumped the ashes out of his pipe. "He is very young and rather headstrong and impulsive, but he is honest and has a clean heart, and that is a good quality for a king. He's not too fond of dragons though."