Chapter 23. Wrongs Righted.

Chapter 23.

Wrongs Righted.

A hush fell over the crowd at the action. Lynwood whole body went limp and he slipped off the dragon's head and rolling across the sloping tiles, he tumbled down off the roof. There was a gasp as the honest folk watched Lynwood descend straight to the stony ground.

Caderyn, having been startled by all that had happened, came to his senses and swooped down and caught up with Lynwood just in the nick of time. Another two arrows came flying, but the nimble dragon swerved and flew back to the roof, holding Lynwood securly in his large claws.

He laid him gently on the roof, nudging him with his nose, low growls coming from his throat. There was no reaction to all the dragon's attempts, Lynwood remained limp and lifeless.

Wilheard, worried and stunned, nelt down by the boy.

"Lynwood," he called. But Lynwood didn't respond, he didn't even stir when Wilheard lifted his head. His face had gone deathly pale and just a small trickle of blood came out of his mouth. Wilheard glanced up and drew a breath.

The large, yellow green eyes of the dragon were filled with rage. A thin line of smoke came out of his nose. Turning sharply, he took to the air. Swerving down he grabbed Farran and took off again into the air.

The crowd backed away. Farran cried out in fright. Swooping down, Caderyn dropped the terrified king on the ground. The man hit the cobblestones hard and moaned. But the dragon was not done. He glared down at the king, who whimpered and stumbled back. Taking a deep breath, Caderyn turned towards the City Hall and to the horror of the crowd, a stream of fire came flowing from the dragon's mouth. It engulfed the building in a wall of flame. Soaring to the sky, Caderyn collected Wilheard and Lynwood from the roof and flew up, breathing more fire down.

"Caderyn," Wilheard shouted in desperation. "Caderyn, he's alright! He's alive! He's not dead! He hit his head while tumbling off the roof, and no doubt the pain was too much for him. But he's alive, if we treat him right now he'll live. The arrow is in his shoulder not in his heart! But you've got to land, we've got to get him to a surgeon. But you must calm down and land. We've got to get him to a doctor!"

Despite his fury, Caderyn heard Wilheard and turning, landed beside the burning building. Once more the crowd back away, afraid that the dragon would now cover them in flames. Wilheard slipped off and gently took Lynwood down.

"Where is the boy's father?" He called.

Lyndon, pale and afraid, pushed his way thought the crowd.

"Is he...is he dead?" He mumbled grabbing the boy from the prince.

Wilheard shook his head. "No, the arrow is only in his shoulder, a good deal away from his heart. It must be removed and properly cleaned, but the boy will live and recover, I have no doubt of it."

Lyndon gripped his son in his arms, the dragon nudged the boys head gently, making small whimpering noises.

"It will be alright," Lyndon soothed the concerned beast. "We'll set him right."

"In the meantime," Wilheard turned towards his uncle, whose escape was being blocked by a crowd of very angry people. "We still have to deal with you."

"You have no proof," Farran croaked out.

"But I do," a voice called. It was the same one that had shouted the warning. Turning, Wilheard and Caderyn saw young Prince Oliver walking up to them. Caderyn inhaled deeply, recognizing Oliver from the hunt, but he did nothing, only stared.

"You!" His father hissed.

"Me!" Oliver nodded. "I read a very interesting letter the other day, full of strange facts and disturbing evidence. But more than that, I have had it from my father's own lips how he and my mother plotted against King Elhon, how together they set up his murder, and the murder of my aunt, Queen Katherine. How they lied to me, to the lords and councilers, to the army, to the good and honest folk of Northhurst."