When Worlds Collide (Title may change)

Picture of Brooke on the side.......

Chapter One

I had the perfect life. Straight A's. Good friends. Popular. Great parents and the most amazing boyfriend in the world. It was the start of my senior year and life couldn't get any better.

As the alarm rang for me to wake up that Monday morning, a smile slowly spread across my face. I stretched my arms out over my head, my eyes resting on the promise ring Harvey gave me last year for our anniversary.

I never knew what he saw in me. I always saw myself as plain old Brooke Taylor, naturally curly hair which I hated and straightened every day, brown eyes and I'm not that tall either. Compared to my friends who were blonde and tall (Barbies), I felt so unpretty.

Over the four years we've known each other, they built up my confidence, welcomed me into their world and moulded me into who I am now. Brooke Vanessa Taykor, the girl from the country turned into city dwelling high school princess!

After the daily routine of shower, straightners and breakfast I was sat in Harvey's car wearing my skinny jeans, pink Hollister top and Harv's letterman jacket, his symbol of possession my brother calls it. He can't talk, his girlfriend wears his jacket AND basketball shirt.

I pulled my ray bans over my eyes as we climbed out of the car. All eyes of the school looked at me and Harvey as I passed him my books for first period. He left me with a kiss on my cheek and walked to join his friends. I saw my friends in our usual spot at the bottom of the school steps.

"Taylor, you look hot little mama!" Katy yelled then wolf-whistled at me. "Yeah mama shake that ass!" Sure we were popular but we had a sense of humor. Have you seen Mean Girls? We are not 'plastic', we take care of ourselves but we never put anyone down.

Katy, for example, coaches an all girl little league.

Megan does a lot for charity, her brother battled cancer as a child so she gives back.

Simone runs a soup kitchen downtown for the homeless.

And me...I'm a tutor. Not as exciting as the other girls but there's a little satisfaction in knowing someone passes a test, or gets a better grade and even understands the questions asked in class!

As the bell rang we made our way to homeroom. I turned one last time to face the open field in front of the school. One day, I decided, I would run across there and skip school. Then butterflies of fear fluttered in my stomach. What if you get caught? What would your parents say?

Shaking my head I walked into school. Little did I know then this would be the most exciting and dangerous year of my life.

*****

Sitting on our usual picnic table for lunch, Harvey was reading the local newspaper he'd picked up in the library. "Can you believe it, another robbery up town? This guy is insane! Wait 'til they catch his ass...then we'll see how bad he is."

"He must be poor." Emily chimed in. She never said much but when she did, it wasn't the brightest of opinions. "Well why else would anyone steal?"

"Maybe he's in a gang." I mused. "Some people just aren't as blessed with the lives we have." I grabbed my tray and headed inside. God I wished I'd ran that day...

The following days weren't much different. The girls and I went to cheer practice at three and then at five we went our separate ways.

Sitting in chemistry my phone buzzed with a text message from Harvey. 'Are u coming tonight? Xx’ I sighed and put my phone in my bag. The guys wanted to go to the lake. It was a hot-spot for teenagers to get what they want from their girls. Unfortunately for Harvey I'm not that kind of girl.